Lighting issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
PXL_20210204_120539989.jpg

Hi....This light stopped working yesterday. Its a 7 light conical cascade light with 7x12v 20w G4 capsule bulbs.

Its been up about 6/7 years with no issues at all. Its not used all the time as its in the dining room above a table.

That said any ideas what may have caused this ? Could it be a faulty transformer or bad design? We didn't smell burning and it didn't trip the RCD.

Sponsored Links
Overheating caused by poor and/or loose connections.

Cheers, as in the product itself at the location those multiple wires are damaged ? I just want to check the problem might not be elsewhere before I stick a replacement up.

Sponsored Links
Probably got those nasty halogen lamps in?

Time to got a nice new LED light fitting.

Yep, halogens. Its a shame as its a lovely looking conical cascade light and wasn't cheap but I guess if it risks burning the house down best bin it off.

Looks like loads of slack in the wiring, should be totally repairable. I suspect it's one of those overheated joints that's failed but it could equally be the electronic transformer.

with 7 x 20w lamps those connectors have just under 12 amps going through them so any slight looseness in the connection will cause them to heat up and fail. I would replace the halogens with leds which will cut the current draw to 1/10 of what it was previously

I've just ripped the burnt stuff out and re wired one light up and all good so the transformer's fine. Just to clarify in relation to the recent posts I might have a problem fitting 1W G4 LEDs or similar
Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back