Lighting junction box with no live in??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm wondering if anyone can help me make sense of this junction box. I'm renovating an outhouse and was going to replace this with a maintenance free type as it will be boxed in, I also wanted to add a new light and switch, but I don't understand how this circuit works currently.

1 - comes from the existing ceiling pendant (this seems to be the last in line, there is no continuation of the circuit from this pendant other than this junction box). Only the neutral and earth are connected to the junction box with the live cut off. (It is the old style red/black wiring to the pendant so this blue wire comes from the black, which I assume is neutral).
2. This is the switch that controls 1.
3. This connects to another pendant and switch.
I'm scratching my head a bit as there appears to be no live in, but everything works as it should. I'd like to add another pendant & switch but am hesitant to touch anything until I understand what's been done

Attachments

• 20230916_162419.jpg
    20230916_162419.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 84
Sponsored Links
Looks like it's a permanent supply and the neutral and earth have been taken to a light with a switched live from elsewhere.

I’m guessing 3 is the incoming supply. 2 is supply to switch and 1 is neutral to light. There will be another cable, switched live from switch to the light. Strange way of doing it though.
1 is definitely the incoming supply, I've traced all the wires back. 2 is the switch for 1 and 3 is a new light & switch

Sponsored Links
Could it be that the old red/black wiring is the wrong way around and the blue cable of 1 is actually live? I don't see how this circuit works otherwise

Is it possibly the arrangement for feeding one of the switches on a 2-way switch circuit?
Come across something like this a few years ago. The straps between the switches went direct to each other and the live feed to one of the switches was fed from a junction box with a similar set up as this.
Can't remember exactly how it went, but this looks very similar.

Is it possibly the arrangement for feeding one of the switches on a 2-way switch circuit?
Come across something like this a few years ago. The straps between the switches went direct to each other and the live feed to one of the switches was fed from a junction box with a similar set up as this.
Can't remember exactly how it went, but this looks very similar.
No it's definitely not a 2 way switch

What other cables are at he switch? (ie the other ends of cable 2)
This is a great question! I think this sheds a bit more light on the situation

So I have attached 3 pics, the 1st just shows the wall with the supply coming in from 1 and the cable going down to switch 2, with 3 going into the ceiling to feed another pendant/switch.

1 is the supply coming in to the wall pendant with the red/black - live/neutral
2 is the switch for this light - so it looks like there is a live & switched live coming in through the wall

So I guess the live seems to be taken from the switch to the junction box, and the neutral is taken from the pendant to the junction box....

Attachments

• pendant.jpg
    pendant.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Switch.jpg
    Switch.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 32
  • wall.jpg
    wall.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 33
This makes a lot more sense now, I suppose the switched live must connect to the pendant behind the wall somewhere.

I couldn't understand how there didn't seem to be a live coming in to the junction box but I think this explains it

Yes it does they've pinched a live from the switch and a neutral from the light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back