lighting options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i'm building a garden office (permitted dev) and need to sort out my lighting however I have the following restrictions:

1) Ceiling height 6'8"
2) Roof joists 4x2 so only 100mm space in ceiling cavity + plasterboard depth

Due to the low ceiling height I was going to go for spots so nobody bangs their head on a light fitting however due to the limited cavity space I'll not be able to use halogens as they give off too much heat and need 50mm of clear space round them (I think). I was going to include a couple of wall up lighters for ambient lighting however i'm not sure what to do for the main light source and what quantity of lighting i'll need.

The size of the office is approx 5x3m, if anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
The Inceptor (LED) fittings can be adjusted to a low profile of 57mm, if you account for 100mm plus 12.5mm plasterboards and 3mm Skim, then you will have 58.5mm gap between fitting and roof. They do have long adjustable arms though which in-cooperate the drivers, so space will be required to accommodate for that. But this could compromise any thermal insulation that is required as they will need ventilation.
Anyway you can have a look.
http://www.scolmore.com/documents/inceptor.pdf

Ah, thanks another 'click' product, got the flame guards in my house and have been very pleased with them, expect they're a few quid as they are well engineered ;) just out of interest how do they compare to cob led down lights?

Also have the entire 115mm cavity at my disposal as its a warm deck therefore the insulation is external leaving the cavity totally clear :D

Unfortunately I don't recall ever using a Cob product, if I have, I was not aware of it, so cannot offer an informed opinion.

Sponsored Links
for something a bit bigger, these are the dogs danglies:

http://www.downlightsdirect.co.uk/aurora-low-profile-13w-led-downlight.html

They are a little more than a standard fitting, but you'll need far fewer of them.

I have nothing against using standard downlighters, in fact, I quite like them, but then, in certain situations, I like something like this.

I'm also a big fan of the Philips Pacific 5ft fittings, this is an LED version but I think some places will still stock the flouro version

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corrosive-Waterproof-Weatherproof-Corrosion-Resistant/dp/B00BLM9FTS

No stupid clips holding the lens on that just break off after 3 months

Would it be beyond the wit of man to find a way to fit them flush to a plasterboard ceiling, rather than a lay-in grid?

Would it be beyond the wit of man to find a way to fit them flush to a plasterboard ceiling, rather than a lay-in grid?
It shouldn't be beyond the wit of man, but it could be a bit of a mission. The main problem of getting a 600mm x 600mm fitting 'flush' into a ceiling is presumably related to the fact that the ceiling joints are not going to have 600mm (or greater) spacing. One would therefore presumably have to modify (and possibly strengthen) the ceiling/roof structure, perhaps in much the same sort of fashion one would to create an access hatch.

Kind Regards, John

"Flush" in the context of a light fitting means fixed to the ceiling surface, i.e. not dangling down on flex/chains/wires/rods, and not recessed into the ceiling.

"Flush" in the context of a light fitting means fixed to the ceiling surface, i.e. not dangling down on flex/chains/wires/rods, and not recessed into the ceiling.
Oh. If it's that sort of 'flush' we are talking about then, as you say, it certainly shouldn't be beyond the wit of man to achieve it - assuming that the man has a drill and some screws! Without having looked atthe product in question, I had assumed that 'flush' meant flush :)

Kind Regards, John

http://images.google.com/images?q=<flush+light+fitting> :confused:
Hmmm. Those images seem to cover virtually every type of ceiling light fitting apart from simple pendants and traditional dangling chandeliers! Would you really describe all those fittings depicted as 'flush'?!!

Kind Regards, John

All really helpful information although it would probably help if I gave a little more so here is some info and pics:

Outside: 5x3m (fully glazed door and two sets of windows but as surrounded by large trees there's not a huge amount of direct sunlight entering the building

Inside roof: 4x2 joists, 600mm centers, noggins every 600mm (ish)

In our house we have click flameguard GU10 halogens which are great, they give off about 570 lm and based on them I figure 3-4 of these and a couple of wall up lighters would do the job perfectly.

Looking at the links provided the inceptors give off 400lm so around 20-25% less than each halogen so I would need to up the number of spots to 5 or 6.

The auroras look good (expensive) but they don't give any guide on lumens so would need to email them to find out a bit more information. If they're as bright as the halogens then 4 would probably suffice

The LED light panels look interesting but are very expensive when you add all the necessary components and fitting will be less straightforward than normal spots. Expect they are good in the right situation though...

No chance on those Philips Pacifics, my taller guests might smack their heads on them!

Lastly i've seen these, they're COB technology, each lamp gives off around 800-1000lm so 30% more than normal halogens. With the 100 degree angle and diffused cover they 'apparently' light a room rather than specific area but I know nothing about them so not sure if they're any good:

http://www.right-light.co.uk/britled-10-watt-cob-led-diffused-downlight-4-inch.html

Just checked the spec on the aurora lights and they bang out between 600-700lm so are really bright however they're non dimmable so if they're too much there no way to crank them back :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back