Lighting Problem? I'm Puzzled? (CONT.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Original Topic - //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29844

I have taken some pictures of the situation as it stands.

3446982%3B23232%7Ffp3%3B%3Dot%3E2353%3D788%3D%3B5%3A%3DXROQDF%3E23239%3C483%3A857ot1lsi

ABOVE - This light works as expected (on/off with switch).

3446982%3B23232%7Ffp63%3Dot%3E2353%3D788%3D%3B5%3A%3DXROQDF%3E23239%3C483%3A856ot1lsi

ABOVE - This is the light fitting that stays on perminantely.

I can't see any obvious problems with the switched since the first light works fine. After disconnect all the wires on the first fitting the other light is off so this is definately the first light.

Any help would be muchly appreciated[/url]

Sponsored Links
Sorry if I'm reading this wrong - The two switches that you refer to, are they just two switches that happen to be on the same face plate ? If so, they are two independent switches, and so it is quite possible that you can bugger one without buggering the other.

However, another thing to check - Has this Rose recently been rewired ? You haven't by any chance lost the switch wire inside the ceiling, have you ? The fact that you have a four-way terminal block would maybe imply this, but can only have happened if someone has been up there lately.

I have two seperate switches controlling these lights. one in the kitchen and one in the living room(that also shares a face plate with the LR light) both these switches work fine in that they both switch on/off the first light. the second light however remains one perminantely whether the switches are on/off.

The connecter block came with the light fitting there was only three wires present when I disconnected the rose. the instuctions for the new fitting say something about the remain space in the connector strip is for something ?...switch?? (can't remember) but there are only three wires?

Sponsored Links
Aha - Is the second light some sort of 'slave' that comes on and off at the same time as the first light ?

If so, it needs to be connected to the switched live of the first light - you seem to have it connected to the permanent live. Identify which red wire in the first light goes to the second light, remove it from its temrinal and connect it to the single black wire in the first light instead..... (but only if the first sentence above is correct)

I took all the wires out of the first light yesterday and the second light did not work, so that suggests it is a 'slave' to the first one. So if I find the red wire thats going to the second light and stick in in with the switch black? I'll try that tonight. thanks.

I take it that I can find the right red by just taking them out one at a time until the second light doesn't work?

When I say 'slave', I mean that your intention is that both lights are on at the same time, and both are off at the same time.

I think that light one is the last light in you lighting circuit, and that light two is simply parallel to that - The fault is exactly as per SecureSpark's last post in your original thread.

In the absence of any multimeters, the way you describe to identify the correct red will work, but make sure you do it with the mains off whilst doing the actual disconnecting, and then turn back on to see if you had the right one. Just turning off the light switch will not be enough, as one of those reds will still be live.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.....

I have my girlfriend on look out to tell me when the powers still on, I'm the kind of person that forgets ever now and then so she's a help there.

Yes I do want the lights to be on at the same time and off at the same time. I will try and the red wire tip and get back to you in the morning. cheers

Yeah, take the red wires out one at a time, make sure you put it in a spare bit of terminal block so it can't come to any harm when you put the power back on

one of them will stop all both the lights working (the feed cable)
one of them will just stop the light with many wires working (the switch cable)
one of them will just stop the light with few wires working (the feed to the light with few wires) - this is th one you are trying to find

when you have got the correct one, connect it with the black at the other end of the terminal block (the one where the brown to the fitting is connected)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back