Lighting problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Yesterday I found that two ceiling lights downstairs and one upstairs were not coming on. I checked the bulbs and they're fine. The consumer unit looks fine, no switches flipped. I've also noticed this evening that the lights in several rooms have been flickering a bit, both upstairs and downstairs (there are separate lighting circuits for the two floors). All sockets etc are fine.

I don't have a great deal of electrics knowledge but am able to wire a light fitting etc. Should I investigate the light fittings/switches? I will probably get an electrician in, but would be grateful for any advice or thoughts beforehand.

Many thanks,
Sam

Sponsored Links
Hi, have you put up any pictures or shelves? Flickering lights indicate a bad connection,or a damaged cable which must be investigated as it can lead to arcing which could cause a fire. Check for loose connections at the ceiling rose in each room.

DS

Yes I recently had the kitchen done, but an electrician did the wiring.
I have put up a lot of shelving and pictures over the last two years. If a cable is damaged somewhere, how would that be located?

Youd have to narrow it down by disconnecting the circuit and checking end to end resistance on all conductors, then splitting the circuit in half and repeat until you find the faulty section.
Just check the switches and fitting first just in case to rule them out.

Sponsored Links
I didn't find any problem with the switches or fittings, they all seem to be wired ok.
I'm guessing that now would be time to call in an electrician? I'm not sure about looking deeper myself...

One thing is, the flickering stopped. It was due to the stormy weather we were having as several neighbours experienced it too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back