Lighting puzzle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had some problems with my lights over Christmas. On Christmas Eve just sat in the kitchen-diner when the lights went out. After some checking discovered a pinched live in the kitchen light, the previous owners had appeared to have disconnected the earth to resolve this problem! Having fixed that the problems persisted which eventually led to an outside light...

After unscrewing the glass I could smell that I had found the problem, I tried to take pictures of it as I disconnected it however various wires just disintegrated. I have removed the light fitting and isolated all the wires in an enclosure. However, I'm not sure what connections I have got and how they would go back into a new fitting. The light also has a separate PIR sensor.

What I have think I have is 1.5mm twin and earth and a 1.5 single and earth (not come across one of these before. Both "lives" and the neutral where all sheathed with red sheath. PIR sensor does not have the single and earth connected to it, TE both in and out.

Attachments

• WP_20161227_14_50_29_Pro.jpg
    WP_20161227_14_50_29_Pro.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 169
Sponsored Links
Looks like your wiring was damaged by sun and possibly water as well as the usual heat, maybe your old fitting was for indoors only (or horizontal mounting)
Anyway regarding your questions, you're going to struggle if you have 3 lives and 2 earths. I think the wiring isn't labelled correctly! If you know where the other ends of the wires go, then take photos and post them here.

I'm guessing the single and earth is switched live from the pir and one of the other lives is Perm live, and three other is neutral. But from how it's done it could be anything!

Oh and there a good chance the single is actually a twin with the neutral snipped back, so that night make it harder to find the other end.

If you're hand with a multimeter (with the power off) that night make it easier!

Thanks John, pretty sure the single is only a single. Attached is a picture of the cables after the light fitting was removed. The lights were outdoor lights, it's just I think they were installed about 20 years ago when the house was rewired.

I do have a multimeter, so can check.

Presumably it wouldn't make sense to have both the cores from one of the cables connected to one side of the light fitting?

Attachments

• WP_20161227_15_34_29_Pro.jpg
    WP_20161227_15_34_29_Pro.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 127
Sponsored Links
Well it could if there is or was another light Daisy chained, but that still didn't explain the lack of a neutral indicated cable. I think you'll need to trace the wiring as I don't have enough information.
And PVC wiring should last longer than 20 years, but it should be protected from adverse influences.

The red sleeve is just for heat protection of the wires.

Edit: Brain wasn't working.

The red sleeve is just for heat protection of the wires.

Edit: Brain wasn't working.

Thanks that makes sense of that then.

Is it likely then that the TE feed comes from the PIR, this was always on and would illuminate if the sensor was triggered, does it make sense then that this provides the live and neutral? The single live is from the switch inside, so a single switch live, to turn the light on on demand from the internal switch.

Last edited:
Nice Coughtrie lamp fitting. You can probably get a replacement gasket if that is the cause of the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back