Lighting query: Adding extra strip lights in loft...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone can help:

I'm about to add three fluorescent tube lights to the single one that's been installed in my loft during a full rewire a year ago. One light just isn't sufficient.

A single flat grey lighting-grade cable goes from the switch to the existing light.

What I'm planning to do is take this single cable and extend it (using a junction box and extra cable) so that it goes to the furthest away of the new lights, and then link them all in series.

Can anyone confirm that this is the correct way to do things, or is there a better way?

Thanks in advance,
MM

Sponsored Links
Firstly you need to know how the cables are configured and method of how they were installed.
At your light fitting what cables do you have.
Is it one set of blue (neutral), brown(line/live), Green/yellow(cpc/earth)
or two sets of these cables.
If you have two sets, you can daisy chain from that fitting, installing the cable to the next nearest fitting then again to the next and so on. Using a length of twin&earth.
Then they will all operate from the same switch.
You will also want to know what load you have on the circuit to prevent overload, the cable size and fuse rating.

They are connected in parallel not series.
In the UK it is common to take the power to the light then from light to switch which means in the ceiling rose or fitting one has an extra connection referred to as "Loop" you do not need to extend this "Loop" wire however likely there is no loop in a loft lamp.
So simple connect new cable in the old lamp to Line (L) Neutral (N) and Earth (E) together with original cables and correct in new lamp in same way.

If you use a 90 degs rated cable you can run it through the fitting but standard 70 deg cable may get too hot. It is common to see florescent fittings cable in one end and out the other to next. (Daisy chain) But fittings do get hot so care is required if cable passes the ballast (The big lump of metal in middle of fitting) as it gets hot.

Can't see why you would want a junction box the fitting itself makes a good junction box.

yes, my Son confirmed it's parallel not series...

Anyway, I installed the three new 36w T8 units in line and ran the single 2-core & earth cable to the furthest T8 light then daisy-chained to the next T8, then to the original 5ft unit before linking to a final T8 where the cable terminates in the unit's small terminal block.

Trouble is, the last T8 won't light up now, although all the others are working fine.

Is it possible that the old light unit is causing a problem in the line and needs to be replaced with a matching T8 like the others?

I tried the obvious swapping of tube and starter etc - they are fine.

Any suggestions?

TIA

MM

Sponsored Links
An aside :- Three words ensure correct spelling for ever more !!

FLU
ORE
SCENT

Voila !! Fluorescent.

-0-

Check that the terminal connections at the old fitting and last in line (the one that is not working) have not come loose.

Yup, will be going up there again later to do just that - would be great if it were something that stupid and basic...

Thanks for the tip!

Anyway, I installed the three new 36w T8 units in line and ran the single 2-core & earth cable to the furthest T8 light then daisy-chained to the next T8, then to the original 5ft unit before linking to a final T8 where the cable terminates in the unit's small terminal block.
What you describe doesn't make sense - it almost sounds as if you are forming a ring with this circuit.

From the 5ft lamp (switch live,neutral & Earth) run a T&E cable to the first T8 lamp looping the cables into and out of the line, neutral and earth and then onto the next one and so on. Each terminal block will have two live, two neutral and two earths except the last T8 which will have one of each.

Note if you have wired them in series then if one goes, they all go out and you'll have to revert to working in candle light until the culprit is identified :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back