Lighting Ring Main

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Terry2sheds

Just looking at all Wiring Diagrams in FAQs Sticky.

All show supply to next light, but I've discovered a light unit in loft that has no supply out. I know this could be last on circuit, but should it not have a return wire to complete the ring?

If it should, is it ok just to complete by installing a return wire to the previous fitting in the circuit? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Only 30/32 amp socket circuits can be wired in rings.

Lighting circuits are radial circuits, and the last light does NOT have a cable returning back to the mains.

Most wiring diagrams will show fitting in the 'middle' of a circuit, with feed in, feed out and switch cable.

I suppose you are less likely to come across an end of line light. Perhaps the FAQ Sticky isn't clear enough in showing what the last fitting should look like.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help and understanding.
I suppose I haven't ever come across the end light before, only by coincidence that I came across this one.

I'll know in future.

I suppose everything on a diagram is pretty clear if you're certain of what you're looking at. It's like quiz questions, they're all easy if you know the answer.

It's also worth knowing lights aren't always wired in a line.

You can tee off any light to feed more, in a sort of Y formation. You can tee off any point.

Thanks Sparkwright for your help.
I fitted a loftlight a couple of years ago and ran a supply and return wire, thinking I needed to maintain the ring!
Obviously didn't need to, but it's been ok, with no problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back