Lighting Wiring Above Kitchen Extension

If, as seems to be the implication, the "assurance" sought is to be achieved via the process of notification, does this mean that we do not believe that any electrical work should be allowed without notification?

Sponsored Links
Do you think that people should be allowed to replace any roof timbers without assurance that the replacement work will be structurally sound?
I'm with John on this one, it has never occurred to me to inform BC when I've done like for like repairs/replacements. I used to have a planning officer living a few doors away and he was quick to point out I needed their involvement when I moved a fence but not a peep when I stripped the roof and bathroom dormer to make repairs and minor amendments when I fitted a new boiler.

He even suggested white cladding when I was unable to find green hanging tiles.

There are practical considerations around both the volume of, and technical difficulties of, roof design and construction vs minor rewiring to be considered.

Replacing a 4" x 2" timber with a 4" x 2" timber is, in my opinion, no different from replacing a piece of 2.5mm² T+E with a piece of 2.5mm² T+E. There are, of course, issues about safe execution of the task but, even if notified, in neither case will a BCO or H&S guy stand over the person undertaking the work.

Sponsored Links
I'm with John on this one, it has never occurred to me to inform BC when I've done like for like repairs/replacements.
Be that as it may...

I used to have a planning officer living a few doors away and he was quick to point out I needed their involvement when I moved a fence but not a peep when I stripped the roof and bathroom dormer to make repairs and minor amendments when I fitted a new boiler.
Planning and Building Control are not the same.

There are practical considerations around both the volume of, and technical difficulties of, roof design and construction vs minor rewiring to be considered.
Apparently not.

To do electrical work one has to be qualified or demonstrably competent.
To design and submit plans for a building and then build it one does not.

To do electrical work one has to be qualified or demonstrably competent.
To design and submit plans for a building and then build it one does not.
You don't think that designing and submitting the plans which then meet with approval demonstrates competence?

That's because building an extension involves planning matters as well as building control ones.

You don't think that designing and submitting the plans which then meet with approval demonstrates competence?[
No
That's because building an extension involves planning matters as well as building control ones.
And I know the man, which presumably you don't, and I know what work he does, which presumably you don't.

Fair enough - I guess I bow to your knowledge that Building Control will approve plans and details when they do not show that the work will comply with the Building Regulations.

And I know the man, which presumably you don't, and I know what work he does, which presumably you don't.
Indeed, you do, and I don't.

In my defence I would point out that you, who know him, said that he worked as a planning officer.

If you replace a 'rotten roof', it would be hard to prove retrospectively whether it was done before or after the introduction of the regulation.....

Just saying not, recommending in any way.

1. It probably wouldn't, as that regulation was introduced, I think, at least 8 years ago.
  2. When selling the house one would have to be bonkers to lie about it, and the truth could easily cost more than notifying would have done. People are rightly very wary of potentially dodgy flat roofs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back