lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have sorted the mcb I wold like some advice on lighting my garage has a florescent light on the celling there is also a light outside the garage when the garage light is switched on the outside light comes on as well both lights are wired to wall switch which I presume is a 1 way switch .Do I need a 2gang 2 way switch the wiring of both lights each have a blue and brown wire and are both earthed.How would I connect these eg top bank of switch L1 L2 L3 and bottom bank L1 L2 L3 I would like to know where the brown and blue wires of the lights would be connected advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
can you post a picture of the switch so we can see where the wires are ?

I have sorted the mcb
Cheers I have found and ordered the correct mcb I will get an electrican to rectify and fit the mcb
What was wrong?

Who did what was wrong?

When you had the electrician there why didn't you to get him to sort out the garage lights?

I wold like some advice on lighting my garage has a florescent light on the celling there is also a light outside the garage when the garage light is switched on the outside light comes on as well both lights are wired to wall switch which I presume is a 1 way switch
Presume??

You installed the switch:
I have hager fuse box I fitted a new light switch in my garage
so why don't you know whether it's a 1-way or not?

Do I need a 2gang 2 way switch
No - unless you want 2-way switching you only need a 2-gang 1-way switch, but you can of course wire a 2-way as a 1-way.

I would like to know where the brown and blue wires of the lights would be connected
Well not both to the switch, obviously!

advice appreciated
The best advice anyone can give you is to go away and get a decent DIY and/or home electrics manual and learn how circuits work.

Given the questions you're asking you don't yet understand the most basic facts about current flow, what the difference is between live & neutral, or how switches work.

Thinking you can dive in and start doing things, asking questions here when you get stuck is a dangerous and very inefficient way to learn. You can learn what you need to, but until you do please leave the doing alone, as you should not be wiring things up on a painting-by-numbers style following of instructions to put this colour wire into that hole - you must actually understand why, and what's going on, and how it works.

The electrican was the one who wired it like this it is a new garage and he did the wireing at the moment he is on holiday in eastern europe for about 6 weeks thats why I was trying to sort it out myself

Sponsored Links
There seem to be a lot of "electrician on holiday" posts just recently :confused:

Maybe I'm just getting synical in my old age.

The electrican was the one who wired it like this it is a new garage and he did the wireing at the moment he is on holiday in eastern europe for about 6 weeks thats why I was trying to sort it out myself
So this:
I fitted a new light switch in my garage
wasn't entirely accurate.

Anyway - 6 weeks, 6 days or 6 years - it's all irrelevant - take the opportunity to get a new electrician, because given the problems you described in the first post, and now the ones in this one, the guy who installed it was a complete idiot, without a clue what he was doing. You should count yourself lucky that his gross incompetence didn't result in a fire or someone getting a shock, and this time get someone who can do the work properly. Do you owe the original plonker any money?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back