Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I replaced a dimmer switch for my living room light, this was working fine until a few hours later and the light went out. I have replaced the switch again but no luck. I have checked the fuse and the bulbs but again now luck. Any other ideas on what the problem could be and how I get my light working?

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It was a dimmer switch before and the dimmer was broken and so have not tried again with this switch.

If there is an intermittent fault on the light which caused the last dimmer to fail then you might just have fried the new dimmer !

Sponsored Links
The old dimmer switch did not work because the dimmer would just turn and turn and not click in place. The new dimmer switch worked, if only tempory and I have now installed a 2nd new dimmer switch but no joy.

How many lights (in total watts) does the dimmer control.

Dimmers vary in standard and ability, depending on the load.

Might you have used a 200w dimmer on a set of lights with more than 200w load ?

The dimmer controlled a light with 4 bulbs, 3 were 20w and 1 is 50w. The original dimmer switch was 250w, the first new one was 400w and the second new one is 250w. So I do not think this is the issue.

The dimmer controlled a light with 4 bulbs, 3 were 20w and 1 is 50w. The original dimmer switch was 250w, the first new one was 400w and the second new one is 250w. So I do not think this is the issue.
Nevertheless, if you temporarily replace this switch with an ordinary o-n-o-f-f switch you will be better able to make this statement with confidence.

It's always a headache trying to problem solve a light with a dimmer switch. I always put in an on-off switch to test everything first, and when I'm happy that's working properly add in the dimmer.

PJ

It's always a headache trying to problem solve a light with a dimmer switch. I always put in an on-off switch to test everything first, and when I'm happy that's working properly add in the dimmer.

PJ
Is there an echo in here? :D

The dimmer controlled a light with 4 bulbs, 3 were 20w and 1 is 50w..

This may be the issue.

What voltage are the lamps? If the 50w lamp is meant to be a 20w like the other 3, the transformer may be overloaded in the fitting itself. This may not have manifested itself as a problem until you started chopping the phase with a dimmer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back