lights and extractor fan in bathroom dead as a doornail!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a pull cord in my bathroom that has 4 spots and an extractor fan on it. Fan doesn't have its own isolating switch, and no overrun, it's on and off with the lights. An inherited system rather than one I would have chosen!

The other day it all went dead. No trip on main board, switch still clicks. I thought it could be the switch, and changing like for like is about as far as I'll go with electrics, so thought i'd swap it out. Have done that now, but all still dead.

All I can think of is that there's a fuse or short or something on the extractor fan that has killed the whole circuit... as you can tell i'm no expert... really wondering if that sounds feasible, as I'm happy to replace the fan but if it's not a good diagnostic step and i should just call someone who knows what they're doing then i will. if someone can point me in the right direction i'd appreciate it, scratching my head a little.

many thanks,
simon

Sponsored Links
you may want to look to see if there is a fuse in a loft above the bathroom, but its sounds like you need to call someone out

All I can think of is that there's a fuse or short or something on the extractor fan that has killed the whole circuit... as you can tell i'm no expert... really wondering if that sounds feasible,
It doesn't, given that you said "No trip on main board"...

(if) i should just call someone who knows what they're doing then i will.
Somewhere (in the loft?) there will probably be a junction box with a wire adrift, or a fused connection unit with a blown fuse - it might be worth looking.

If you can't sort it that way then it's probably best to get an electrician, as you seem to have little knowledge, not a lot of confidence, and (I'm guessing) that you don't have a proper 2-pole instrument for checking if things are live, or not.

Sponsored Links
i thought as much - thanks both, was really asking on the off chance i'd missed something obvious. i'll get a pro in. there's a loft conversion on top of this bathroom unfortunately, so not mucking around any more :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back