Lights dont work and its not the fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I switched my upstairs bathroom light off and all the upstairs lights went off. I changed the fuse but none of the upstairs lights work. I checked the fuses in the downstairs lights circuit and they are OK. So whats up???

Sponsored Links
Had the fuse gone?

Have you checked all the bulbs? Doubtful they would all go but you never know?

This is a problem that may have many causes.

I take it you have re-wireable fuses??

If you have replaced the fuse then this suggests that there is a 'fault' somewhere on the lighting circuit.

Broken insulation / disconnected connection.

Unless you understand electrical installations and know what to look for I would just call a sparky

simply because you changed the fuse doesn't mean it hasn't gone..

if it's a cartridge type fuse then it may have been inadvertently been put back in the box last time you changed a fuse.
if it's rewireable then it may it may have blown again as soon as you tried the lights again..
if there is still a fault..

it could be that the original fault was a loose cable coming out of a ceiling rose or junction box, or even a rat or squirrel chewing through a cable in the loft..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back