replaced ceiling pendant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The ceiling pendant on my upstairs landing was broken and not holding the blub in so I bought a new one a wired it exactly how it was wired before. I switched the electricity back on but it didn't light the blub.

On my fuse board there is a fuse for upstairs and downstairs lights. The upstairs landing is actually connected to the downstairs lights. But since I've replaced the pendant the bathroom light no longer works and it's connected to the upstairs lights - all other upstairs lights work. I have changed fuses and light blubs and made sure the everything is screwed in correctly.

The wires that I had to connect to the pendant were 2 blacks, 3 reds and the earth. The connected the black beside the blue/neutral and the three reds beside the brown/live - that left one space.

Any ideas why the bathroom light is now not working and have i connected the pendant incorrectly?

Sponsored Links
You HAVE connected the pendant incorrectly. However, I suspect it was never connected correctly to start with. You have 3 reds and 2 blacks.

ONE red is from the switching cicuit, this needs to be connected to the light in this fitting. (This red may be in a grey sheath on its own, or with the black trimmed back and not connected)

The other two reds are permenant live and have nothing at all to do with this fitting. Put them in a terminal block seperate to this fitting.

The blacks are neutral and need to be connected as such.

If i'm right with the above, it will work properly, but it means you have a shared neutral, which AFAIK, doesn't comply with regs. :(

The upstairs landing could well be connected to the downstairs lights, but if this is the case, then the bathroom light cannot be connected into the landing light - at least not if the bathroom is on the upstairs circuit: there will not (or should not) be two circuits connected to the landing light.

Sponsored Links
secure, i was thinking the switched live came from downstairs, the upstairs lighting circuit looping in at this fitting in order to provide a neutral.

tut tut. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back