Lights for hot location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'd like to install some lights (perhaps a couple of wall-mounted spotlights) in a large inglenook fireplace. The air where they'll be gets pretty warm and I've read about LEDs not coping with heat so would like to use halogens. However, it's pretty hard to get hold of halogen GU10s, so I'm looking at MR16 lamps, with a transformer away from the heat. The trouble is I can't find anywhere which sells surface-mount MR16 fittings. Anyone know any? Or any alternative suggestions?

Thanks a lot,
Adam

Sponsored Links
Hi All,

I'd like to install some lights (perhaps a couple of wall-mounted spotlights) in a large inglenook fireplace. The air where they'll be gets pretty warm and I've read about LEDs not coping with heat so would like to use halogens. However, it's pretty hard to get hold of halogen GU10s, so I'm looking at MR16 lamps, with a transformer away from the heat. The trouble is I can't find anywhere which sells surface-mount MR16 fittings. Anyone know any? Or any alternative suggestions?

Thanks a lot,
Adam
I may possibly have a box of bulbs here still, not quite sure what they are/were.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the comments :)
What's that in Centigrade?
Fair question! I'm not sure. I can stand in there without expiring, so I'd judge it as technically "very hot airing cupboard" temperature ;) . Next time I have the fire on I'll find a thermometer...

If there out of sight, in pubs we use Glass fronted Bulkhead fittings
Thanks, good idea & they will be concealed & I already have heat-resistant cable run in there - but I'd still like directional light ideally.

If you conceal them you could fit oven bulbs and porcelain fittings
Thanks for the idea (& ericmark), though I can't imagine oven lights would be bright enough. I'm also not sure I've ever seen, or know where to find, surface-mount fittings for them?

Adam

Maybe you could use something like this, you can likely bin the lampholder and fit your own GU5,3 to take your 12 volt Mr16, sometimes easy if the lampholder is floating and the screw on cover secures the lamp, however if the Gu10 lampholder is screwed on, then you may need an adapter to fit

GLWALL3BK.JPG

Try a search for GU5.3 fittings and you may find something suitable ready made for 12 volt lamps

Graphic-GU5-800x572.jpg

i think a light bulb will do the same [survive].

I finally got round to measuring the temperature where the lights will be and it only got up to 31 degrees - so I suspect I'm over-thinking the problem! I'll stick in some GU10 fittings and see what happens.

Adam

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back