Lights in a bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to install some ceiling downlights in 2 upstairs bedrooms, but before I do I would like to know if anybody here perceives this as a fire hazard?.

I am told that it should be be OK, so long as the loft insualtion and anything else that might be up there is kept a respectable distance away? Are there any special fire precautions that should be taken when installing downlights? I have heard that there are such things as fire covers?

Secondly, I see that bathrooms lighting is rated by a zone system. What zone classification would be suitable for a downlight inside a shower cubicle and what zone would be appropriate for a downlight inside a small en-suite bathroom, outside of the shower cubicle?

Lastly, in the case of a small 1.2 x 2.5 m en-suite. What is sensible in terms of watts? The said en-suite is in my sons house. He wants 3 downlights, one inside the cubicle and 2 outside. I suspect that this might look a bit like a night game at Wembley. What do you think?

Thanks.

Paul

Sponsored Links
zones17a.jpg

bathroom_zones_08.jpg

Zone 0
The interior of the bath or shower which can hold water.
Zone 1
The area directly above zone 0 limited vertically to 2.25m above the bottom of the bath or shower.
Also 1.2m horizontally from the centre of a shower outlet to the height of the outlet or 2.25m whichever is the higher.
Zone 2
The area beyond zones 0 and 1, 0.6m horizontally and up to 2.25m vertically. Zone 2 also included any recessed window with a sill next to the bath.
Note:
•Providing that the space under the bath cannot be accessed without using tools (i.e. screwdriver etc), that space is considered to be 'out of scope'.

There are 100s of other arguments about this, but in summary:

Removing insulation isn't allowed, you must either use a Loftcap or a sealed box over the light fitting, so that insulation can be put over it.
Fire hoods are not required.
If using halogen downlights in the room, 3 of them @ 35W each should do.

That diagram showing zones is totally wrong.

Thanks guys. I get the idea on the zoning now. With regard to the insulation, I will look at some form of loftcap.

Sponsored Links
There's one in the Wiki.

It's been there for years.

How come you didn't know about it?

Regarding the planned 3 lights in a 1.2 x 2.5m room, does anybody have any comments on this?

This is my son's/girlfriend's house and they want these lights. They are thinking of using 3 x 30-40W bulbs. Is this sensible? One in the shower cubicle, 2 outside? I think that it sounds like overkill.

Any advice on this?

Thanks

It's not sensible.

They are probably right about the number of lights they would need, and that's what's senseless about the whole thing. Lights which are, in effect, 2" torches recessed into the ceiling do a terrible job of lighting a room because it's not what they are designed to do - in fact, it's the opposite of what they are designed to do, which is why you need so many.

BAS is right though.
I have several customers who have insisted on downlights in their bathroom. 200watts plus of halogen lighting to replace a very adequate 60W fitting.

Later they find they need illuminated mirrors, etc so they can see enough to squeeze their zits.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back