Lights in sleepers

Collingwood GL016SQNW are excellent. Fit and forget. They are LED and wired in series from a driver or two. You would't need the optional sleeve (for concrete), just bore a hole the correct diameter right through (or deep enough).

Sponsored Links
Sometimes old style surface bulkheads look nice, I mean stylish ones, like ship style though, not £3 B+q jobs, ... We fit a few in Retro pubs and Byron burgers etc
Are they necessarily man enough to tolerate being kicked?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm ignoring all the non subject related stuff thanks.

Rocky you mention old style surface bulkheads - do you have an example of the sort of thing you're meaning please?
Reading between the lines it sounds like most people are suggesting to surface mount rather than trying to run things into the sleepers.

I like the idea of the 22mm hole into the surface and then 8mm right through the sleeper and router a groove out of the back 12mm to hide the cable and a wood moulding to cover or slot in a 12mm wood batten. How would you drill the 22mm and 8mm holes by the way? The sleepers are not installed yet so it'll be easier to work with them on the flat etc. Having them towards the bottom of the sleeper means it won't dazzle and I guess I could use Hue Bulbs here in order to control the darkness, and timings of when they switch on and off etc. What sort of kit would be need to run the cables in etc?

Thanks for the useful help and suggestions.

Get rid of the linear drain covers, lay an LED rope light, fill the channel with crushed glass.

Having them towards the bottom of the sleeper means it won't dazzle ...
I would personally have been more inclined to position them towards the top of the sleep, but angled slightly downwards, in the hope that that would maximise illumination of the ground whilst minimising 'dazzle'.

Kind Regards, John

If these

screenshot_1481.jpg

were replaced with something more outward facing the ground would have all the illumination it needs, leaving anything by the sleepers only needed for effect or to remind people of their presence.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm ignoring all the non subject related stuff thanks.

Rocky you mention old style surface bulkheads - do you have an example of the sort of thing you're meaning please?
Reading between the lines it sounds like most people are suggesting to surface mount rather than trying to run things into the sleepers.

I like the idea of the 22mm hole into the surface and then 8mm right through the sleeper and router a groove out of the back 12mm to hide the cable and a wood moulding to cover or slot in a 12mm wood batten. How would you drill the 22mm and 8mm holes by the way? The sleepers are not installed yet so it'll be easier to work with them on the flat etc. Having them towards the bottom of the sleeper means it won't dazzle and I guess I could use Hue Bulbs here in order to control the darkness, and timings of when they switch on and off etc. What sort of kit would be need to run the cables in etc?

Thanks for the useful help and suggestions.

Stern+Outdoor+Bulkhead+Light.jpg

This sort of thing i like for surface, google image search ship style bulkheads
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=s...MAKHeMiDasQ_AUICygC&biw=1707&bih=844&dpr=1.13

As for the hole for the deck lights, most seem to be 22mm, so i would use a 22mm flat bit and go in only about 60mm, then just a smaller hss bit or a flat bit through the rest, careful when it breaks through not to split out the wood, though you may need a long bit or measure and drill back from behind to meet.
For the cable groove, you could use a skill saw and do several marginally spaced cuts or use a router, this is NOT suitable for mains cables though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back