Lights in sleepers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've had an electrician provide the option of putting lights into these sleeper (that have not yet been installed) and he's offering to put the lights in a wire them up for me. He's a NICEIC registered guy.

A few questions please....

1. What sorts of lights would you suggest that provide a small amount of light that throws onto the patio using LED or something low consumption?
2. What would you suggest he puts in it to control them? I've highlighted in red on the photos the outside socket that he's going to run them from. There's a duct that's been laid under the patio to run the cable.
3. I love HUE/Inner bulbs as this allows me to set timers/sensors onto so if there something that I could put a GU10, E27 or B22 that'd be great.

The blue marks give an idea of where I'd like them putting.

Thanks for any help/advice you can give so I can decide what I'm asking him for.

Sponsored Links
1. Something that only shines downward, so you don't get dazzled by them.
2. A switch.

Sponsored Links
Guys please could you go away and leave others to post. Thanks.
That's a rather sweeping generalisation. In the absence of a significant number of 'Gals', virtually everyone here is a 'Guy'. Do you want us all to 'go away'?

Kind Regards, John

Small deck lights would look nice, but fitting them to a solid sleeper could be difficult.

Most outdoor lights are going to be awkward, as running the cables, and making them watertight, are going to be problematic.

Many forms of lighting will require transformers or drivers, which will need to be put in some kind of an enclosure.

A rope-light or similar may reduce some of the installation problems.

Unfortunately guys seems to apply to both sexes now, whether I like it or not.

I think it's a good thing. Saves us having to say 'Guys and Gals' and sounding like someone we aren't supposed to mention anymore. 'Guys' is shorter too.

But seriously, I suppose the first question is: 'Is a surface mounted light what you really want?' You did say 'into', so are you expecting him to modify the sleeper to put the lights inside?

But seriously, I suppose the first question is: 'Is a surface mounted light what you really want?' You did say 'into', so are you expecting him to modify the sleeper to put the lights inside?
Indeed, that's what he said, and I would have thought that surface-mounted ones would look a bit naff and would also be very kickable.

I have been known to sink things like backboxes into solid lumps of wood - but, in this case, I would certainly have liked to be able to do it 'on the bench', rather than after the sleeper has been installed at ground level!

Kind Regards, John

Unfortunately guys seems to apply to both sexes now, whether I like it or not.
On that basis, the 'go away' statement would presumably apply to everyone (unless anyone not identifying with either of those 'both sexes' wishes to put up their hand!).

Kind Regards, John

Could you fit a capping board to the top of the sleepers, overhanging each side. Then on the patio side fix a rope light or LED strip to the underside -groove out the capping board if needed. You will need drip grooves to the underside to stop water running back underneath.

I think 22mm led decking lights would look good, drill a 22mm hole for them half way through then an 8mm through the rest to the back.
Router a 12mm groove along the back edge for the 12 or 24 volt cable, then fit a wood moulding to cover the groove, or slot in a 12mm wood batten.
Locate the transformer and controls in a suitable enclosure by the socket, most are remote control nowadays with various colours.

Indeed, that's what he said, and I would have thought that surface-mounted ones would look a bit naff

Kind Regards, John
Sometimes old style surface bulkheads look nice, I mean stylish ones, like ship style though, not £3 B+q jobs,
We fit a few in Retro pubs and Byron burgers etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back