Lights in the loft Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am wanting to install one fluorescent light in my loft. On the upstairs staircase I have a single light switch that operates the landing light. I do not want to install yet another light switch but purchase a double gang light switch that will operate both landing light and loft light. I have been told that I do not need a new live feed to the second switch but can use the existing live and and neutral by linking the two within the switch. Can I do this or will I have to supply a new live and neutral to the second switch to operate the light in the loft.

Sponsored Links
You still need a switched live from the switch to the light, and a neutral from the lighting circuit.

Your best bet is to run a loop live and neutral from a local light fitting and a live from the switch using twin brown 1.5mm2 cable to your new fitting.

Unless of course theres a neutral at the switch, which is doubtful.
Then you just need switch live and neutral from the switch.

(Either method requires earthing, and should be in 1.5mm2 cable)

There is a junction box in the loft for the lights, is it best to run the wiring from here????????????. However an electrical guy at B&Q said I could not run a second live a neutral from a jucntion box because he said the two lives could 'jump across' and blow the fuses, that is why he said I would have to have two seperate single switches, but I just want a double switch to work the landing light and loft light.

ianhutchinson said:
There is a junction box in the loft for the lights, is it best to run the wiring from here????????????. However an electrical guy at B&Q said I could not run a second live a neutral from a jucntion box because he said the two lives could 'jump across' and blow the fuses, that is why he said I would have to have two seperate single switches, but I just want a double switch to work the landing light and loft light.

I would contact trading standards and report B&Q

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back