Adding a light in the loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

Apologies if this is a basic query but i've been left somewhat confused. I'm trying to add a light into the loft and i've attempted to loop in from the upstairs landing ceiling rose. This ceiling rose only has one live and one neutral in it (as well as light flexible brown and blue). I thought there should be 2 lives and 2 neutrals there for the circuit and the switch. Is this something to do with it having a downstairs switch? I connected the new cable to the live and neutral and run it up into the loft and connected to the new ceiling rose. When i turned the power back and operated the switches, the CB went.

I tried an alternative approach by connecting to an existing junction box in the loft which operated bathroom lights. I took my feed from there. This seemed to work but bizarrely, the CB went when i turned the light OFF! What am i doing wrong?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks for your time
Conor

Sponsored Links
Conor. Some photos of your connection will be required in order to help.
The landing light Switch wire & neutral would have been acceptable providing you were happy to only be able to operate the loft light when the landing light is on.you dont make any mention of a switch for the loft light.include this in your photos or sketches if one is installed....more info required.!

Hi Spark1. Thanks alot for your reply.

Unfortunately i cannot upload pictures which i appreciate is not very helpful. When i've connected to the junction box (which supplies bathroom lights), i have taken Twin and earth to a ceiling rose then another twin and earth to a switch. This seems to be work (as an independent light) but when i turn the light off, the CB trips. Any ideas?

Have you by anychance connected the switch across the supply instead of in series with the lamp?

Sponsored Links
Haha, your suspicions are correct gents. I've been a dozy bugger!!! All sorted now. Thanks for your help. Its all good practice!

Thats good news Connor, Your poor circuit breaker can now have a more peacful life :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back