Lights not working...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a call from my relation about this, ive not actually been myself.

All downstairs lights wont turn on - he's checked the re-wireable fuses and theyre all intact.

This is an intermittent fault that happens then appears to sort itself out.

I was thinking the wiring in one of the ceiling roses has been damaged and is causing the problem?

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I was thinking the wiring in one of the ceiling roses has been damaged and is causing the problem?

That is one of the possible causes. If it goes off and on then there is a bad connection, somewhere.

If it is all of the downstairs lights I would start by looking at the connections in the fusebox and then work from there.

Lighting circuits are arranged in several ways. Today they are done as a string. And Bigall's advice may be correct, IF the house is wired in today's methods.

HOWEVER

As you have rewireable fuses, it is an older installation and there may be a central wiring centre for the lights. This may be a brown square box and hidden under the floor, usually under the landing.

It's detective work.

Sponsored Links
Could be many things.

A loose wire near the origin, or a damaged cable could be causing the fault.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back