Lights, sparks, inaction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tried to fit 3 new lights on the upstairs landing today. First one, no problem - one wire comes through the ceiling, fits into the new light. Second light has three wires, all with a red, a black and a copper earth. Light fitting only has 2 holes for wire and and earth. Looks like two of the sets of wires feed other bedrooms, and one is for the light. I tried fitting 2 red into one hole, and two black into the other.

When I turned the electrics back on, the light worked, but the remaining light in the landing started sparking. The fuse didn't trip, but when I turned it off, disconnected light two, and turned the electrics back on, none of the upstairs lights work... Help?

Sponsored Links
see for reference. NEVER connect all the reds and blacks together

Sorry, you've lost me there - see what for reference?

Any idea on how I get my lights working again?

do you know what wire is the switch wire? do you have a multimeter?

and on the electrics subforum, the reference section is at the top

Sponsored Links
I know which the switch wire is for the light that was sparking, yes. Don't have a multimeter though.

Found the reference section, thanks.

Find it odd that the lights have gone before the fuse has - does this mean some wiring has burnt out, or are there lots of possibilities? The light that was sparking has 4 input wires - one from each of the other landing lights, one from the switch and one other that I think then goes to feed the bedroom lights.

Is this something I should be able to correct myself, or do I need to get an electrician?

connect the light using the diagram in the refence section. the mulimeter was for to find the switch if you didnt know which 1 it was. if your light doesnt have a 3rd terminal for the permanent lives, use a choc block. if you dont understand this, call an electrician

With the light reconnected, there is still no lighting. Appear to have power on an irregular basis, and still no lights lit. In the light fitting I have reconnected, the earths are now live...

Any more thoughts?

The arcing from your original attempt may have melted through the live feed cable.

If the fuse didn't blow there's a chance your house has a bad earth, high resistance, causing sparking instead of a quick blown fuse.

Get an electrician in who can test this.

Another thought, could this circuit be fed via an FCU from the ring? If so, that fuse may have blown instead of the one in the CU

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back