Lights suddenly started to dim when swtiching on shower etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have read up about the above and it seems common. However it has only just started to happen in my house

First off my shower no longer produces hot water no matter how much i turn it up and at the same time the bathroon light dims

And today i switched the cooker on and the kitchen light started to flicker like crazy. Plus the microwave wouldn't work correctly when the cooker was switched on. Basically it seemed like there wasn't enough power in the circuit for the cooker and the microwave. Again this is the first time this has happened.

The only thing i have done to the electrics
recently was to put a new 30amp fuse in the shower. After this the shower worked fine but a couple weeks later no hot water

I have also switched from EON to Scottish Power
Could this be the reason for my power problems?

Anyone got any ideas? I am gonna replace all the fuses in the fuse box because a lot of them must be years old. Though i guess this won't solve the problem...

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Has there recently been any work arround the meter area? Normally switching supplier wouldn't involve any physical changes but if you switched between prepaid and postpaid or between single rate and economy 7 then it would.

Is there a smell of burning coming from the service head, meter or CU and/or any signs of scortched plastic?

Has there recently been any work arround the meter area? Normally switching supplier wouldn't involve any physical changes but if you switched between prepaid and postpaid or between single rate and economy 7 then it would.

Is there a smell of burning coming from the service head, meter or CU and/or any signs of scortched plastic?

Thanks for the replay

I had a new new meter installed in Jan. Only because the old one had been in for 25 years

I also had a new gas central heating bolier installed in June and they had to do some electric work

Finally i had a water meter installed outside about 6 weeks ago

Checked the meter, no burning smell or signs of any damage

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Did you check for any charring, slight discolouration, heat damage at the incoming terminals to your consumer unit ?

If you haven't then only look carefully after switching off the main switch and not attempting to touch anywhere near the terminals as they will still be live.

You might be better off seeking the services of a competant professional who may be able to test for bad connections/joints on the incoming side.

This needs sorting rather quickly as you may have a major problem which might only get worse.

Did you check for any charring, slight discolouration, heat damage at the incoming terminals to your consumer unit ?

If you haven't then only look carefully after switching off the main switch and not attempting to touch anywhere near the terminals as they will still be live.

You might be better off seeking the services of a competant professional who may be able to test for bad connections/joints on the incoming side.

This needs sorting rather quickly as you may have a major problem which might only get worse.

No everything looks A1 around the meter/fuse box
I will ring Scottish power tomorrow to see if they are having any problems in my area. And to see if they will come out and look at the meter/fuse box?

In the meantime, don't place any heavy loads on the supply.

They will charge for a call out and will not be interested in the customer side / CU / board.

Get a spark in, it does sound like something isn't terminated tightly and I'd suggest checking every terminal for tightness.

Get a decent insulated screwdriver with a good handle.

Turn off the main switch.

Tighten all the MCB and RCD screws, top and bottom. If any were loose, you have probably found your problem.

The screws should all be as tight as you can comfortably get them. Dont put undue pressure on the screws, they might shear the thread if they are a poor brand. But tight enough so they wont come undone on their own.

If the problem persists, then call the supplier as it may be a loose connection in the meter or head or main switch. YOU MUST NOT TOUCH THESE.

Edited because of concerns over the original content.

Hmm I'm not really sure thats the sort of advice you should be giving to a DIYer.

It wouldn't take much to get that wrong and cause very serious injury or death. :eek:

Hmm I'm not really sure thats the sort of advice you should be giving to a DIYer.

It wouldn't take much to get that wrong and cause very serious injury or death. :eek:

I did say only do it if confident he knew what he was doing.

Electricians should not work live. It's illegal for a start, so advising a DIYer to do it seems pretty irresponsible to me.

I've seen plenty of sparks work live. Foolish I know, but I'm not gonna argue with them.

And I have edited the post.

I've seen people driving who are not wearing a seat belt. Doesn't make it right ;)

Thankyou for your edit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back