Lights tv and computer flickering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone be of assistance?

I'm converting my lift and was working last night, cutting dwangs, my wife tells me that as I was working the light in the room below where I was working was flickering and so was the tv and laptop she was using. Is there any way the work I was doing could have caused this? Over the past weeks I have de clipped the existing upstairs cables away from the joists so I can double them etc. My thinking is that the tv downstairs which is on its own ring circuit cannot be effected by work done upstairs, so the flickering must be some sort of power surge, is that possible? The flickering only lasted a min or so or less and hasn't reoccured.

Cheers,

Oliver.

Sponsored Links
And I forgot to mention that a light I had plugged into a 13amp socket upstairs blew.

What tools were you using? some power tools when start up occurs, will draw an inrush current, this can cause voltage drops that can cause the flicker also loose connection, especially if vibration is happening around/near the connection

Beter to post in Electrics UK. I suspect you have a loose connection somewhere. Edit:Ah! now moved from Building :)

Sponsored Links
I had a similar experience where the lights flickered whenever I was in the loft.
I checked all the connections in the light roses and the two junction boxes in the light circuit and they were all tight but after a bit of head scratching worked out one of the grub screws in a junction box was cross threaded, so it only seemed to be tight.

But.. A laptop is normally immune to any loss of power, being basically battery powered with a charger attached. Having said that if you disturbed a loose connection on the socket circuit and the laptop was plugged in it might switch between battery/mains power settings (different LCD brightness levels).

Are you sure the problem appeared on more than one circuit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back