No upstairs light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

Last night, one of my upstairs light started flickering so i replaced the bulb but the flickering continued therefore i decided to just remove the bulb. After a few hours, the light in the whole of the upstairs suddenly died. The downstairs lights and all the sockets are still working.

Can anyone please advice or help me fix the problem. Is it just a matter of replacing the rose with a new one?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Have you got a separate upstairs lighting circuit in your fuseboard? What sort of fuse/circuit breaker is it? Its more likely to be a loose connection or something small & furry chewing through a cable! :evil:
If you've already changed the bulb once and the problem is still there , then this is more likely.

P.S IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING, you could ISOLATE EVERYTHING and tighten the connections in the rose and see if that makes a difference. You might also want to look for any signs of charring around the ends of the cables, as it can occur at loose connections and affect the safety of the circuit. No offence but it sounds like you could do with getting an electrician to check it out if the fault continues. :cry:

Note: you're correct, i only know a little about electricity. I have changed/install/extend sockets but that's about it. If it's simple enough that i can fix it myself i will because i don't know any reliable electrician in my area
:D

The upstairs lighting has a separate fuse. How do i isolate everything? By the way, the light in question is being controlled by two switches.

Based on my limited knowledge on the topic, i also assumed it was just a loose connection that's caused the light to flicker and now that there's no more light, i don't know anymore.

It is best to turn off all your electric while you do this, since you aren't certain if the circuit is dead if none of your lights work!

Open the ceiling rose (its cover should just unscrew), and check the connections, and look for loose wires. The supply for all your lights loops through this rose so these connections are vital.

Then close it up and turn on the power.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I will do that this saturday. I will keep you guys posted and ask again if i encounter any problems.

Do you think i also need to replace the fuse for the upstairs lighting?

Its also possible that the problem lies with one of the switches, or the cables that drop down to them, not necessarily with the rose.
The flickering may have been caused by a short, which, depending on the type of fuses you have, could have caused it to blow. If you've got the 'Pull Out' type Rewireable fuses then as long as the case is not damaged its just a case of replacing the wire inside (after the fault has been rectified!).
Don't hesitate to ask for more help on this forum, it can be very useful!!
:cool:

P.S Have you nailed/screwed anything into the walls recently?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back