Chainging the bulb causes problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had to replace a bulb upstairs.
The lights began to flicker and I decided to check the wiring.

As I started to remove the rose the lights went out.

Now some of the lights upstairs do not work, but others do.

I can't see that any wires have become disloged, and no fuse has tripped in the main fuse box.

Any ideas? :cry:

Sponsored Links
knhobson said:
As I started to remove the rose the lights went out

Jeez, you did this live? You clearly put a low value on your life.

Whether or not you can see it, at least one termination has come loose.

I get the impression that knhobson believes that if the switch at the wall is off that there's no electricity in the rose.

Mr knhobson, be advised that ceiling roses are primarily junction boxes in a circuit of live wires supplying all the lights on that floor level. Accordingly, you must either trip the mcb or remove the fuse in your consumer unit, for that lighting circuit, before you open any ceiling rose. If you have any doubt about which one to deal with, do the job in daylight and switch off the main switch in the consumer unit.

I agree with dingbat that the most likely cause of your problem is a loose screw or a badly fitted wire in one of the terminals in the rose you opened.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back