Lights wiring problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, there is an issue with the lights in our corridor that has been present since buying the house some time ago.There are 3 lights and 3 switches, the problem is that the 1st switch needs to be on for the others to work, and if you switch it off at either of the other switches the 1st light stays on.To get around this i took the bulb out of the 1st light which allows it to be switched off from the other end of the corridor, but if the first switch has been turned off the others dont work.How has this been wired and could it be rectified from the switches as access would be very difficult to run more wires, thanks.Ps excuse the terrible paint mock up.

Attachments

• lights.jpg
    lights.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 252
Sponsored Links
In the main multi lights from multi switches means lights all connected to come on together and the two switch wires go to first switch the from there three wires go to all other switches, first and last switch is called two way, those between first and last are called intermediate.

There is a modern system using two wires between electronic switches, using that all need to be same make and system first switch called master rest called slaves.

There is a system where each switch returns to ceiling rose, but it needs four connections plus earth in ceiling rose and so one needs special emergency light ceiling roses to get extra wire.

So no system I have met would do as yours does, so not a clue how wired. There is also RF switching where sometimes a battery is used and sometimes the moving of the switch generates enough power to transmit to master, think latter is MK.

So good news is there will be a way without running extra wires to cure problem, bad news is without testing don"t know which of the options will work.

I wanted to be able to switch bedroom light on/off from in my bed, did not want to run new wires down wall, so fitted a Mihome switch which can have three remote controls. So remote by bed. However the switch is rather big, it will not fit in plaster depth box, so one does have to be careful.

Sponsored Links
Was duplicate however with power off, open switches, count cables, and how many wires plus earth in each cable, and take a picture, from that we stand a chance. Also pictures of each ceiling rose wiring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back