Lightswitch Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - hoping for some help.

I was just about to start replacing a light-switch, when I opened the existing light switch and noticed that it's wiring conduits are different to the light switch that I've bought. The first picture shows the existing switch and the second, shows the new switch.

There are two light switches on the wall each side of the bed in our room. Then another switch on the wall by the door. All three switches control the two wall-lights in the room.

Do I need to buy a new light-switch or can I connect red/red together and black/black together in the switch that I've bought?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Your present switch is an 'intermediate' -

one of three which operate the same light ?

You will need to buy another and connect it the same way.

OK, will do - thank you for explaining that it's an 'intermediate' switch, much appreciated.

make sure you connect those earth wires to the terminal on the metal front plate of your new switch

Sponsored Links
You have what is known as three way circuit, as you now have found they require an intermediate switch, the other two will need to be two way switches. As the above post, the CPC/earths will require to be fitted to the metallic face plate earth terminal.

You have what is known as three way circuit, as you now have found they require an intermediate switch, the other two will need to be two switches. As the above post, the CPC/earths will require to be fitted to the metallic face plate earth terminal.

Where's the STRAPPER?
I do hope that some muppet hasn't used the cpcs as the strapper…..if they are the strappers, and he connects them up to the front plate, then his metal plate will become live... :eek:

DK1UK

Can you post a picture of the wiring at the other switches please, before you do anything else.

It could be wired with DI singles, or more likely the live is looped at the first switch, with a possible borrowed neutral at the light.

Slightly O/T I thought the wires in L1 and L2 are the strappers, and the wires in the commons are the erm commons :confused:

Having said that it would be best if the op could show the wiring at the other switches incase someone has done something daft...

Where's the STRAPPER?
I do hope that some muppet hasn't used the cpcs as the strapper…..if they are the strappers, and he connects them up to the front plate, then his metal plate will become live... :eek:

That is definitely something that needs investigating prior to connecting!

DK1UK
Can you post a picture of the wiring at the other switches please, before you do anything else.

I concur with TTCs. So stop now before you can confirm by both inspection and test that it is safe to proceed in replacing plastic for metallic plates.

2way,3way or multiple switching can be wired in various ways, just because there is no 3core & earth looping through an intermediate switch does not mean anything, none of you have never wired intermediates through joint boxes using 2 x twin & earths?.

I'm surprised to see that method used with what appears to be a modern house with dry lining box.

The earths look connected together with a better than expected method.

I hope it's not a live conductor, but worth checking before connecting it to a face plate!

2way,3way or multiple switching can be wired in various ways, just because there is no 3core & earth looping through an intermediate switch does not mean anything, none of you have never wired intermediates through joint boxes using 2 x twin & earths?.
They can indeed but this needs to be confirmed, but looking at the conductor cores of each t&e, they look to be of differing CSA, which would make you suspect this was not the original set up. Of course they may have just run out of one of the sizes and put in what was kicking around.

Why would that be issue ?
It's not an issue just an observation, that because two differing sized CSA are present, that this is an alteration to the existing set up as cables are not the same, and possibly the numpty (according to TTC) has installed a two way and intermediate arrangement without thinking through prior to pulling in cables.

It'd be reprehensible to use a CPC as a live conductor, but a few shades worse to sleeve it in green+yellow.

It may be nothing to worry about, but I raise it to be checked.

I await the OP's pictures of the other switches, with interest and before speculating further.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back