Lime putty + sand = salmon pink pointing :-(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks,
I am repointing my newly exposed chimney breast and was told to use a 3/1 mix of sand and lime putty. The problem is that gives me a salmon pink colour. Now I am very comfortable with my sexuality, but theres something about pink pointing that ain't quite right

I want a very light grey colour ? Any ideas ? I was hoping to still use the lime putty as it cost me £20 :evil: Also is there a better way of getting the mixture between the bricks rather than using a pointing trowel ? No matter what I do i seem to get it all over the face of the brick :cry:

Sponsored Links
The type of sand has a big effect on the colour. Lime is quite sticky and can be a bit tricky to point with if you are not used to it. I would try a 1/2/9 cement lime sand mix.

Well as I have bright white putty I'm assuming i need black or dark grey sand. Any ideas where i can get black or dark grey sand from ? :confused:

Ooops , sorry missed the cement bit in your post. You are supposed to add cement to the mix ? I wasn't told that :oops:

Sponsored Links
Adding cement will make it slightly grey. Pure non hydraulic lime mortar will take a long time to harden.

thats non hydralic lime and is best used without cement

:confused: One saying with cement , one saying without :cry:

Thanks for the link. Should I be able to source grey sand locally ? I didnt see any at our local builders merchants today

There are a number of advantages and disadvantages to adding cement to non hydraulic lime. However as you are pointing internally and are looking to match the colour, then I would say that adding some cement is not a problem. A hydraulic lime might have given the best match.

sorry to read your sand colour problem,
you should use tuck pointers for your pointing, working off the back of a trowel,
hold the trowel level with the bottom of the joint just touching the bottom brick then push the mortar off the trowel into the joint with a tuck that is slightly thinner than the joint.
http://www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/scan/se=11433/sf=cat
the cheap rst ones would do they are not harden steel and you can bend them,
I have one in my set and they are useable but you can't use them to
dig out a old bit of mortar that sometimes get left in the way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back