Limescale reducer /inhibitor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I had a limescale reducer fitted for a few years, which was great, I use de scale the kettle once every 2 months, then I had an extension on the kitchen, and when the pipes were altered, the reducer got thrown away, I asked my builder and he said, don't make much difference...... Well I have learnt they do..!
Now I'm de scaling the kettle every 3-4 weeks!!
Now I need a scale inhibitor.... I've seen magnetic ones, and I've seen Electrolytic ones..... Which is better and why?
I can not remember what I use to have on, but I need one fitting, please help me which is best, I've seen one at tool station at £26.67 a tower electrolytic scale inhibitor WRAS approved...... What ever that means?
Is WRAS approved better?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Both the electrolytic and the magnetic types will reduce the formation of scale build up, but they won’t eradicate it.
Depending upon how hard your water is as to how effective they are. They produce the best results within the range 150ppm to 350ppm. Above these figures they still work but you really need a water softener to have any real effect

Neither will do anything, so it doesn't matter in the slightest.
I used to think this, until I saw the results for myself. I took these pictures - two virtually identical installations, both about the same age and the same water supply. The only real difference was that one had a HS38 on it and the other didn't. I'm convinced they work now

Attachments

• IMG_20191226_153958.jpg
    IMG_20191226_153958.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 200

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back