Liniar Windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am posting to ask if anyone else has had Liniar windows and doors fitted as I am very disappointed in ours

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
What are you disappointed with, most profiles now are pretty much much of a muchness and not a great deal of difference between any of them, its all in the fitting and the worst system on the market well fitted is a lot better than the best system that's been thrown in

Liniar is my personal favorite (I have fitted, made or repaired most makes). As Cranks says its all in the fitting and the factory that puts them together.
Feel free to post some pics for us to comment.

I will start at where we're at now after over two years, the build up of dirt between the glass and outer sill is on every window and door in our bungalow and has been present for over two years the installer has removed and cleaned, Liniar thecnical director has been down removed and cleaned and is now basically saying its normal if that was is the case I would have liked to have been informed beforehand so I could choose different manufacturers , no one else I've shown it to finds it acceptable, there suggestion is for me to remove all the glass and stick the windows in with tape, I kid you not this is in emails to me from senior members of Liniar I will eloborate on the other issues later. And upload more pictures

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 2,165
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I've seen that before with other systems, it's water sitting on the rubber and getting trapped eventually turning stagnant, I'm guessing here but do you have trees and greenery in your garden or frontage?

This isn't just water it's grim doesn't seem right to me that you pay thousands of pounds and have to look at that everyday. Surely a design fault, as reguard trees and hedges low hedge out front but nothing on sides and rear aspects, don't recall seeing in literature don't have installed if you have a garden.
Imagine buying a new car and you keep it all clean and shiny but have to look at the build up of grime you can't clean out.
We have had so many problems with these windows and doors, bad installation, mediocre fabrication, and manufactures Liniar just shoulder shrugging!

Last edited:
That happens with all makes of windows, Be glad you didn't go for a make that uses white Qlon gaskets, That really would have driven you nuts!
You do have to clean them occasionally you know, A good blast with a hose will get most of that out and a thin scraper with a wet wipe wrapped around it should finish it off nicely.

As for you car manufacturer analogy I have 2 cars and a van on my drive right now with the exact same thing, Dirt and mold in behind the window rubbers, Its just what happens when you don't clean in there.

Liniar themselves are not the factory that put your windows together, They make the plastics in long lengths that they sell on to factory's who make the windows, The factory's then sell the windows onto installers (some factory's have their own installers). It sounds like you may have other issues with your installer so feel free to continue onto the next issue but in my opinion the above is a cleaning/maintenance issue which is down to you.

You won't see anything about stuff like this in the literature, salesmen won't tell you either!

I'm a service engineer, not for a window company but for an insurance company, I write product defect reports, I see this often and it's not limited to just linear and it's certainly nothing to do with installation unless you have other issues.

The offer to add a tape (I suspect a glazing tape) after 2 years shows that they would like to try to help you and make you happy which is a good thing but I wouldn't recommend taking them up on the offer.
The glazing tapes as used in timber windows cannot be cleaned once they get dirty and they will get dirty.

Its algae, the glass will need removing and the gasket cleaned with a suitable algae cleaner which should stop it from growing back

Thanks for replies, I have cleaned out with wet one wrapped over thin scraper, but a week later it is now starting to build up again.
Really don't think I should be having to do this anyway, I have looked at many of my customers windows (I'm a domestic heating engineer) and they don't mostly have the same problem and the few that I've seen is nowhere on the scale of mine.
I do think if the glass spacer bar was sized to match up to the seal that would show a lot less dirt, is there a standard to match the glass to the frame?
I have been very fair and given every opportunity for the installer and Liniar to address my concerns but to no avail, So I can only now warn others that are considering Liniar as a option to come and look at mine or can post pictures on request, I am not trying to get anything for nothing and if I could get my money back they can have there windows and doors so I can start again as instead of a home improvement we just want to move because we have lost the enthusiasm to make a lovely home.
Its not just the dirt its a catalogue of things with the installation, the fabrication and the Liniar product itself.

The spacer bar is meant to be below the rubber and this coverage gives the unit seal some protection from the sun, to raise the spacer would entail packing the unit higher up, it would solve your immediate issue in that you wouldn't see the algae but MAY compromise the units lifespan, also aesthetically the unit wouldn't be central in the frame, to a trained eye it would jump out, to yours perhaps not so much, if you can live the above then its a case of popping the beads off and slipping in another 5mm packer in on top of the one the glass should already be sitting on, that's a simple diy job or you could get the installer to pop back and adjust the units for you

All this is assuming you only have the algae along the bottom where the water sits, Gazman might be able to advise further as her installs linear amongst others, maybe he's seen this before........or maybe hasn't?

I appreciate what you are saying but my spacer bar is approx 10mm lower. I have seen in a lot of other windows not so much gap still bellow the sill but only about 3mm therefore dirt not noticeable, as for simple pop out its all the windows and bi-fold doors.
I can assure you I am not a fanatic and everybody else that's seen it said they would not be happy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back