Lining cellar walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Taking a break from fitting bathrooms, I am buying a project, 5 storey house converted into flats about 40 years ago and nothing done since.
The basement flat is just used as a workshop and storage at the mo, there is no sign of flooding or running water but the walls are obviously damp & uninsulated.
Been quoted £10-12k to tank the basement to BS???? with plastic mini eggbox type membrane with two pumped sumps. I think this is overkill as there is no sign of running water in the past and there is actually a drain in the floor of the basement to the sewer.

My thought is to line the walls with "membrane" held in place by timber battens at 400 centres, stainless screws and a shot of silicon in each screw hole with 25 or 50mm celotex between the batten and membrane.

Is there any point in using the mini eggbox type membrane over simple visqueen?.

On paper, there is little chance of damp penetrating a layer of visqueen and the celotex, I would certainly rely on this method more than one of the sovereign type renders but I cannot supply a guarantee for whoever I sell the flat to.

One thought is to get a registered company to apply a tanking slurry to the walls with a guarantee, then proceed with my method.

One way or another I need warm, dry walls with a written guarantee for the buyers solicitor. How?
Thanks
orange van man

Sponsored Links
How would you intend treating the floor, and particularly the wall/floor junction?

I'm probably removing the existing concrete floor, line the walls with membrane of one sort or another, possibly installing some kind of perimeter drain below the floor dpc, having the wall membrane tucked behind the upstand of the floor membrane, lay a concrete slab then 50mm celotex with floating timber floor on that.
Currently having problems with warped 100mm Celotex sheets on another job.
Thanks
OVM

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back