Lining paper repair after replacing wall lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've replaced replaced the wall lights in the living room but while removing them they've torn the lining paper.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to make good the lining paper and then repaint. I was planning on filling the hole and then applying a thin layer of filler to level it to the lining paper. Would this work or be too obvious as it will be right next to a light source? Should I remove all the lining paper? Any other suggestions welcome

Thanks for the help

wall 2.jpg

Sponsored Links
I’d try soaking the paper around the area first to soften the existing lining paper, getting a square of lining paper bigger than the area to be covered, pasting it, sticking it over the area, then with a v sharp knife, cut through both layers of paper, remove the square from the wall, remove the excess from the new piece and graft the square into the gap. Let it dry and then finely fill the join, sand down and then paint it. Either that or just repaper the whole wall and paint it!

Thanks Mottie - that sounds like quite a good idea/method. Do you have any tips in terms of how long it needs to be soaked for? Also what would be the best type of filler or will any generic type do? I will definitely try this before attempting to repaper the whole wall!

You could try pasting the patch, laying it over the area and knifing it before both layers get too soft and possibly tear. Providing you have knifed down to the plaster with a good sharp craft scalpel you should be able to soak the old paper so that you can cleanly remove the edges leaving a clean square to patch into. If you’ve done it right you may be able to just patch in and paint - should be no different to a butt join between two strips of paper. If you have to fill, just use polyfilla and sand it gently.

Sponsored Links
Are you able to take the light off again to do it. The above method would work but make sure your knife is very sharp.
What I would do is use a knife and cut out the rough paper, then slightly over fill it and sand level. It may take two fills!
Another way is to cut it square (whilst dry) then wet the paper and after a few mins remove the bits from the inner square. Now use new lining paper and cut it about 1mm short to the square hole. Put in the new piece and allow to dry. Once dry you will only have a 1mm gap to fill in!

Thanks for this - that also makes sense. Yep planning on removing the light when doing this. If I'm reading this right you're saying first cut the current paper, then soak and remove the rough parts. Then apply a new square of lining paper about 1mm too short on all sides of the square, attached and fill the 1mm cap around the sides?

When saying sharp - am I right in thinking a stanley with a new blade would be sufficient or is that not delicate enough for this?

Thanks for this - that also makes sense. Yep planning on removing the light when doing this. If I'm reading this right you're saying first cut the current paper, then soak and remove the rough parts. Then apply a new square of lining paper about 1mm too short on all sides of the square, attached and fill the 1mm cap around the sides?

When saying sharp - am I right in thinking a stanley with a new blade would be sufficient or is that not delicate enough for this?
Yes that's right. Do the cutting when dry but wet to peel out the middle. A new blade in a Stanley knife will be fine. A metal ruler would also help. It only has to fit approximately as it will be easy to fill. You could even pre cut a small hole in the middle to push the wires through. Just remember a new piece of lining will expand slightly when soaked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back