Lining paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please advise way to hang lining paper in a dormer bedroom, which has two sloping, one flat ceilings together with a wall, do I try to cover with one strip or several pieces and how to cover the joints. The lining paper is not to be covered only painted

Sponsored Links
I hate to be the one to say this, but lining paper looks awful painted.

But thats only my opinion. :rolleyes:

In your mind look at the sloping walls as if they are straight, wherever you need to paste a long run, do it, but do not try to go up and over.

The only options you have to fill gaps are straightforward all purpose filler, or my preference is decorators caulk which you can use after painting the paper and then touch up when dry.

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

Concertina fold the paper, start the top keeping the paper in you hand supported by a croth..a piece of wood or the end of the roll of paper..see a diy site for pictures of an explaination on to paper a ceiling..its the same thing.

Then just work your way down the wall

Stick to 800 grade of yur ainting over it..1000+ grade can look a bit bumpy

Sponsored Links
Hi

We've just moved into our new house and have a large walk-through lounge and 3 bedrooms to redecorate but not a clue where to start. We've taken off most of the old wall paper (historical trip going back to the 1950s!!) A bit of plastering is going to be needed and there are some thread like cracks in the walls which might need smoothing over.

One person has suggested skimming all walls and someone else has suggested lining paper as a cheaper alternative but having read comments written here I am not so sure that lining paper is the best idea if we are going to paint. Would wallpaper be a better (cheaper) idea? Do you have to have lining paper under wallpaper? If you do need lining paper under wallpaper, does that end up being cheaper than skimming and painting or about the same sort of price? Help - completely flumoxed as to which way to go.

Cheers!

Gary59 said:
I hate to be the one to say this, but lining paper looks awful painted.

<Spice shakes head> Lining paper is lovely when hung and papered correctly, its has a really nice finish to it, I swear by it, and I have lined hundreds of times, using 1000,1200, and 1400 grade, and I cant fault it.

The beauty of Lining paper, in awkward places like dormer rooms with the jutting hips, is that there is no match, and if you make a mistake there is ways of correcting it, so it wouldnt show through the finish, and any tears or rips in the future caused by the kids or furniture etc, again its so easy to repair and make good without stripping it off. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back