Linking 2 water supplies for a business

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of an odd one. I run a business (Hotel) and an adjoining house on a separate meter, also owned by the same business, and is usually empty.

If too many showers are in use at the same time some rooms have poor water flow to some of the showers in the hotel.

When the water system was upgraded they did recommended upgrading the incoming supply which would involve a bit of work, and obviously cost.

It there anything against having a pumber linking the water supply from the ajoining house to the water system at the hotel so the volume of incoming water goes up? In theory the pipework is relatively close and I can see where it would be done, and seems simpler than upgrading the man . We are paying the metered water supply at each address

Sponsored Links
The issue would be... What happens if and when either property eventually gets sold on!
I doubt you'll get a green light on that, unless they are prepared (have the facility) to note the modification down on the records and a way of ensuring you are responsible for reinstating the supplies back to their former state upon future sale.

Way to complicated for today's administrative culture.

New main would be my guess at their response - still, it'd be a business expense you can claim back and considered as an improvement to the business... So, an investment then :)

New main would be my guess at their response - still, it'd be a business expense you can claim back and considered as an improvement to the business... So, an investment then :)

What a typical cost to upgrade the mains to a 50mm supply from the water board? The way i see it, it's going to be very awkward to get the existing supply upgraded becuse how it runs under the building, and is probably easier to put in a new supply and cut the first...

The water meter is inside the business 5 meters from an external wall, not outside on the road

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Whatevers easiest, rarely do we run a new main that follows the path of the old. If you can avoid public footpaths etc then you don't need the water board to do it. You can get an independent to quote. As for price it's impossible to give without survey.

charges for domestic supply and useage will be different so all supply would have to be charged at the higher rate :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back