Linking Low Voltage Txfmr O/P's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, does anyone know if it's OK to link the outputs of a 12V lighting transformer?. There are 3 sets of connections, do they normally run these from a common busbar arrangement or would they be different windings on a transformer (I don't really want to take it apart to look). Reason I ask is it's a 200VA txfmr and I'd like to use it to feed a track system (hence the single output needed).

Thanks & Happy New Year to you all, Oggi.

Sponsored Links
no you should not connect the out puts of 2 dif. electronic transfromers together.

but the 6 termials on an electronic TX are from the same supply, its done to make connections easier

Thanks Breezer, I was referring to the outputs of a single unit.
Do you think it's worthwhile linking the outputs with some tinned copper wire (to spread the current across all three connections) or would a single connection be able to handle the current?

Thanks & Regards, Oggi.

I would buy the correct one if it was me - Illuma do them.

I wouldn't be suprised if the outputs are split internally and not commoned accross - I suppose you could meter them...

Remember, you are going to have a current of around 16-17 amps - Thats a lot for the terminals in those types of trannies.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Lectrician,
I took a look on the Illuma site, the "self monitoring" style is what I need but they are listed as having four outputs.
The torroidal are just too large as I need them to fit in a void through a hole in the ceiling. Better blow the dust off of the multimeter then........

Just measured the outputs, I'm showing zero ohms between the same terminals of each output so I think it's not unreasonable to assume that they must linked.
Rather than linking with TCW at the output terminals, is there any reason why I couldn't wire all 3 outputs to a single (20A or 30A)junction box and then take a lead to the track, as you say, it's a lot of current for small connectors.

Thanks & Regards, Oggi.

It is feasale I suppose to use 4 twin 1mm flex's to a single 30A JB joining to your track's 2.5 or 4.0mm

What size does your track spec for it's cable? Usually is 4mm, as tracks are usually designed for the 300w torroidals.

Thanks Lectrician, got the track and (pre-wired) end feeds on order at the moment so I'll just use what JCC provide (presumably 4.00mm as you say). as long as there's no problem contravening any regs by using the Junction Box method I think that's what I'll do.

Thanks once again for your help.

Regards, Oggi.

tx2.jpg

You can clearly see they do have a common, what you cant see is the other termianls are also connected to each other. (just checked with yard)

Breezer, many thanks for your time and effort.

Regards, Oggi.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back