Low voltage dimmer switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a circuit which controls some halogen downlights using transformers (input 240V output 12V).

I was wondering why I have to use a low voltage dimmer switch, as a normal one seems to work fine.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
perhaps you are misunderstanding something? short answer is you don't.

But you do have to use a dimmer that can dim low voltage lights (most can) and also the transformer for the lights must be dimable

Thanks.

As for me misunderstanding something - I just wondered why low-volatge dimmers are made in the first place if you say I don't need them.

Anyway, you've answered my question, thanks again.

Sponsored Links
notb665 said:
As for me misunderstanding something - I just wondered why low-volatge dimmers are made in the first place if you say I don't need them..

I imagine that all it means is that the dimmer has been designed such that it is happy dimming a transformer. Not all "ordinary" dimmers are happy with reactive loads, and those that are may well need to be derated (i.e. assumed to have a lower rating than their nominal one) when used on such loads.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back