Dimmer switch compatibility

RFI

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have just moved into a new property and want to change a 2 way switch to a dimmer switch. The question I have is that the 2 light fixtures connected being switched are halogen. One is a low voltage fixture with integral electronic transformer (6-20w G4 12v). The other fixture is a mains voltage fixture (6-28w G9 240v).
Can anyone please confirm whether a dimmer switch exists that will be suitable for controlling these combined loads.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Check your transformer is dimmer-able, it should say on the tranny itself.

What is the total wattage of all of the lamps? I do not understand the reference to
6-20w G4 12v
etc.. Where is this written? on the light fittings?

You need to make sure that there is enough load for many dimmers to work. Some of them need at least 40 or 60watts to get started.

And don't get a fancy Varilight/Crabtree type dimmer if you have a 2-way circuit.

Other than that, most dimmers will work.

What is the total wattage of all of the lamps? I do not understand the reference to
6-20w G4 12v

You need to make sure that there is enough load for many dimmers to work. Some of them need at least 40 or 60watts to get started.

And don't get a fancy Varilight/Crabtree type dimmer if you have a 2-way circuit.

Thanks, I will check on the tranny. The wattage of the lamps is 20 watts and there are 6 of them. The information was shown on the fixture.
My main concern is about mixing the Low voltage and main voltage on the same dimmer.
Thanks again.

6-20w G4 12v

Do you mean dimmable ?

KA

Sponsored Links
Hi Knowall,
I am new to the forum but I took taylortwocities helpful comments to mean dimmable .Do you have any suggestions to help me in my project. Thanks

Hi, as you have been advised, the transformer in Light fitting must be dimmable (very often integral transformers are not).

As long as you do not overload the dimmer there is no issue with a 2gang dimmer suppling LV and Mains lamps.

If you have two-way switching on both circuits you will require a 2way dimmer switch. You can retain the 2way switches at the second switch position.

NB. Avoid cheap dimmers as they can be temperamental on 2way switching at low light level.

Regards,

KA

Hi Knowall,
I am new to the forum but I took taylortwocities helpful comments to mean dimmable

I chose my word carefully. Dimmer-able = able to be dimmed. This is a term used by many of the big makers of lamps that can be dimmed
See here http://www.megaman.cc/products/cfl/dimmerable-series

Just one or two points of clarification from KA-NOT's last post (if only it was)

As long as you do not overload the dimmer there is no issue with a 2gang dimmer suppling LV and Mains lamps.

Point of order "mains" is the same as "LV". KA is getting confused again. I think he means "mains" (ie 230volts) and ELV (ie extra low voltage. 12volts for example)

and

If you have two-way switching on both circuits you will require a 2way dimmer switch. You can retain the 2way switches at the second switch position.
Is mostly true, but - as I pointed out above - some of the esoteric, touch and remote dimmers just do not work with anything but another slave dimmer at the other end, so be careful when you select the dimmer. Standard push/rotary dimmers will be fine.

I appreciate both taylortwocities and KA's comments.

I will be following up on checking the tranny out when I return home after the break.
Following the comments made, I should clarify that I meant it is ELV (12v) for the one fixture.
Can you recommend a specific dimmer switch that I should look for ?

Many Thanks.

This is apparently a DIY site, low voltage halogen lighting can be dimmed with a dimmable tranny.As TTC has said most dimmer switches will operate with mains and low voltage halogen.

Regards,

KA

Iam not confused just helping a Diy'er.
By using incorrect terminology which could lead people to misunderstand legal requirements and criticising those who try to help the DIYer improve his knowledge?

How does that work then?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back