Linking out an Logic Combi ESP1 boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

New to this forum, but I wanted to ask a question that I hear about a lot but has never been explained.

When someone has a confirmed faulty wireless thermostat and they have "linked out" the boiler to bypass it in the short term, what does this mean and can someone show me using pictures please?

I have then been told that I can then use the controls on the front to turn on the central heating. Is this possible and how do I do it? Boiler is a Ideal Logic Combi ESP1

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
No you cant use the controls on the front of the boiler to do this, tell us what controls you have , pics are best and we will tell you what to do

No you cant use the controls on the front of the boiler to do this, tell us what controls you have , pics are best and we will tell you what to do

Hi Ian,
The reason for my post is to understand how to help my occupiers (as I work in customer care) when a gas operative links out a boiler because of a faulty thermostat.
I just simply don’t fully understand the terminology linked out.

Basically linking the thermostat out is removing the 2 wires connecting them for live and switch and putting the link back in as it comes from the factory. Yes you can usually use the controls on the front temporarily until your new one is fitted. Image shows how it normally would be the loop of wire between the 2 terminals on the right.

Sponsored Links
upload_2020-2-21_20-47-8.jpeg

Basically linking the thermostat out is removing the 2 wires connecting them for live and switch and putting the link back in as it comes from the factory. Yes you can usually use the controls on the front temporarily until your new one is fitted. Image shows how it normally would be the loop of wire between the 2 terminals on the right.

So you remove the electrical wiring from within the boiler that connects it to the thermostat? This then doesn’t allow the two objects to communicate as the thermostat is effectively defunct? You would then replace and rewire the new one in? Is that it....

It helps if you remember that a thermostat is a simple on / off switch.

If for example a thermostat is set to 20 degrees, but the actual room temperature is below that, the thermostat switch will be 'on' and the heating will operate, when the temperature reaches 20 degrees the thermostat will switch 'off' and the heating will stop.

Combi boilers have two terminals that are connected to the thermostat (switch) as per the photo provided by @The Novice. Most are similar but the wiring terminal layout varies from product to product. In this case, the 'link' is highlighted in red.

upload_2020-2-21_20-47-8.jpeg

In the photo above, the two terminals where the thermostat should be connected have been "linked out" by the wire loop. This means that there is no control of the room temperature and the boiler will continue to run regardless of the actual temperature in the room, instead of being switched on and off by the room thermostat.

With other types of system that have stored hot water systems attached, the thermostat switch will open and close a motorised valve instead, but they can also be 'linked out', not at the boiler, but where the motorised valve is connected.

If for example a thermostat is set to 20 degrees, but the actual room temperature is below that, the thermostat switch will be 'on' and the heating will operate, when the temperature reaches 20 degrees the thermostat will switch 'off' and the heating will stop.

Combi boilers have two terminals that are connected to the thermostat (switch) as per the photo provided by @The Novice. Most are similar but the wiring terminal layout varies from product to product. In this case, the 'link' is highlighted in red.

View attachment 184357

In the photo above, the two terminals where the thermostat should be connected have been "linked out" by the wire loop. This means that there is no control of the room temperature and the boiler will continue to run regardless of the actual temperature in the room, instead of being switched on and off by the room thermostat.

With other types of system that have stored hot water systems attached, the thermostat switch will open and close a motorised valve instead, but they can also be 'linked out', not at the boiler, but where the motorised valve is connected.

Both of you have legend status. Thanks. Totally get it now. So in terms of wiring up a new thermostat you would take this loop out and wire the new one in as per my photo?
iOS Image - 868929747.png

View attachment 184357

Using the app so sorry if I’m duplicating this, but thanks so much for all your help. Makes sense now.

So once you come to install the new thermostat all you need to do is take this loop out and re connect new thermostat as per below?
iOS Image - 3179265882.png

Attachments

• iOS Image - 875457477.png
    iOS Image - 875457477.png
    404.4 KB · Views: 247

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back