Hive Heating with Logic Combi ESP1 35

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I’m looking to replace my current thermostats with Hive.
I have ESI ESRTP4+ thermostats in the bedroom and hallway of my flat.
With a Logic ESP1 35 combi boiler.

When looking at the wiring needed my current thermostats only have 2 wires. NO/ON and COM.

Hive obviously needs more than this. I found in my hallway cupboard a box that seems to feed these thermostats.
Could I place the receivers in here instead and feed them from here ? Looks like it has all the cables I need ?

Can anyone help with what would need to plug where from the pictures ?

Attachments

• IMG_1950.jpeg
    IMG_1950.jpeg
    198.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1952.jpeg
    IMG_1952.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1957.jpeg
    IMG_1957.jpeg
    134.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1958.jpeg
    IMG_1958.jpeg
    165.9 KB · Views: 35
Sponsored Links
Could I place the receivers in here instead and feed them from here ? Looks like it has all the cables I need ?
Yes you could put the receivers here, and you do have all the connections you need.

Assuming single channel Hives...

Reading from left to right.
With a 3 core and earth flex:
Terminal 4 on your wiring centre connects to L on the Hives
Terminal 6 to N on the Hives
Terminal 7 to Earth on the Hives
Add a short link wire between L and terminal 1 of the Hives

The first Hives terminal 3, can connect to terminal 2 of the wiring centre.
The second Hives terminal 3, can connect to terminal 3 of the wiring centre.

The black wires currently in terminals 2 and 3 of the wiring centre can be removed along with any other wires from their respective cables - these go to the existing stats. Removing all the wires of these two cables from the wiring centre, should decommission the old stats cables and make them safe.

Yes you could put the receivers here, and you do have all the connections you need.

Assuming single channel Hives...

Reading from left to right.
With a 3 core and earth flex:
Terminal 4 on your wiring centre connects to L on the Hives
Terminal 6 to N on the Hives
Terminal 7 to Earth on the Hives
Add a short link wire between L and terminal 1 of the Hives

The first Hives terminal 3, can connect to terminal 2 of the wiring centre.
The second Hives terminal 3, can connect to terminal 3 of the wiring centre.

The black wires currently in terminals 2 and 3 of the wiring centre can be removed along with any other wires from their respective cables - these go to the existing stats. Removing all the wires of these two cables from the wiring centre, should decommission the old stats cables and make them safe.
This is fantastic information thank you!
Should I connect them to the other side of the wiring centre (Empty plugs) or use the side that’s already in use ?

Also when you say link wire on the Hive L to Hive 1 so terminal 4 of wiring center goes into Terminal L of Hive and a 2nd cable from Terminal L of Hive straight into Terminal 1 of hive ? So is Live also Common ?

Apologies not super up to scratch on wiring!
Thanks again for your help.

Sponsored Links
Should I connect them to the other side of the wiring centre (Empty plugs) or use the side that’s already in use ?
It doesn't really matter - a decent electrician would strip a length of wire that would partially go through to the other side of the terminal block anyway - two screw contacts onto the copper are better than one!

You'll also find that there will be more space for the wires, once the old 'stat cables are removed.

However, at first, you may want to keep the old 'stats in place (but turned off), just until you are satisfied that the Hives are doing their jobs.

terminal 4 of wiring center goes into Terminal L of Hive and a 2nd cable from Terminal L of Hive straight into Terminal 1 of hive ? So is Live also Common ?
Yes, a short extra link wire should be added, linking common to Live on the Hive.

It doesn't really matter - a decent electrician would strip a length of wire that would partially go through to the other side of the terminal block anyway - two screw contacts onto the copper are better than one!
Perfect thank you!
You'll also find that there will be more space for the wires, once the old 'stat cables are removed.

However, at first, you may want to keep the old 'stats in place (but turned off), just until you are satisfied that the Hives are doing their jobs..
Could I keep the old cables and thermostats in just keep them turned off, Would that cause any issues ?
Since I likely wouldn’t put the Hive Thermos in the same place as the old ones anyway and would be good for if we move out.

Could I keep the old cables and thermostats in just keep them turned off, Would that cause any issues ?
Yes, there would be no problem keeping them in place and turned off.

However, I'm not sure if those thermostats have a backup battery, or a capacitor.
You may need to keep an eye on the battery levels, just to keep the old 'stats ticking over and operational if needs be.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back