Linseed oil paint: mould and rot control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
My new house has got wooden window frames all round, ditto for doors. All are in a bad state of maintenance - cracks, peeling paint, separating joints etc. The windows have single pane real stained glass, leaded lights.

I plan to strip & paint everything in Linseed oil paints. I have ordered 5l linseed oil, shellac, 2Kg putty, 2 brushes and 3l white paint from HOLKHAM........£200......lovely :eek:

Questions:
The place is still cold. Can I strip and oil/paint the INSIDES of the house and leave it for a few months before it is warm enough to go out and do the outsides of the windows?

If I strip the outide of the windows now. Do I HAVE to oil and paint the frames immediately? How long can I leave it for, with the nude wood?

Is it possible to brush down all the window woods with some kind of long lasting preservative before oiling and painting with this paint? Any suggestions for the best product?

Can the putty be used to load the separated joints in the wooden frames? This should give a smooth painting area. 1mm gaps.

An uncultured chimp has broken a window stay clean off its moorings, taking a 4 inch chunk of the window frame with it - both missing. How do I deal with this missing chunk? Can I recreate it with some synthetic wood paste or do I need to square it off and patch in a piece of oak or whatever used in the frame?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back