Lintel failure - advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

First post here so hope I'm doing everything right and have provided enough/not too much info.

Bought a 1930's mid terrace house last year and in the home inspection report they pointed out that there are cracks above lintels in most rooms and they would need replacing. Just wanting opinions on whether capable/qualified people here agree or not. Having a structural survey in next few months so will know more. No exterior cracking to brickwork anywhere. UPVC windows in there currently that replaced original wooden frames at some point in the past (Long before previous owners so not sure of dates.)

- Lintel first floor, master bedroom. This was confirmed to be timber lintel by home inspector and no longer fit for purpose. Pic 1 & 2 is outside timber lintel. Pic 3 is cracks in wall over the window inside.

- Lintel ground floor, living room. Told by home inspector this is concrete lintel but looks to have been resurfaced at some point. Pic 4, 5 & 6 is outside concrete lintel. Pic 7 is cracks in wall over the window inside.

- Lintel ground floor, kitchen. As above, told by home inspector this is concrete lintel but looks to have been resurfaced at some point. Pic 8 is outside concrete lintel. Pic 9 is wall over window inside. No visible cracking inside but looks like something is going on.

Any advice much appreciated and please try not to terrify me too much!

PIC 1.jpg
PIC 2.jpg
PIC 3.jpg
PIC 4.jpg
PIC 5.jpg
PIC 6.jpg
PIC 7.jpg
PIC 8.jpg
PIC 9.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. I've since had a builder in to remove fireplace surround and he has taken a look. The second tradesman that has said he doesn't think they need replacing, just re-rendering. They've both said that the brick work above the lintel would be effected if it was blown. To me, with no knowledge whatsoever, it looks like water is getting into the crack in pic 8 so to me that one would need replacing at the very least. I'm prepared to get this done but don't want the hassle of replacement if repair will do for a few more years. Can anyone advise whether they think, from looking at it, that the internal cracking is directly linked to the lintels?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back