lintel over window aparture on non loadbearing wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There seems to be a general rule of 150mm bearing for lintels on loadbearing walls.

Does the same reasoning apply to non loadbearing walls?

I want to install a new window (0.631 * 0.900) on the first floor in an external non loadbearing wall. Do I still have to allow a 150mm bearing at both ends. In other words do I have to install a 1metre Catnic CG50/100 or similar.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
yes, the 150mm rule will apply to all lintels, though it used to be 100mm when i were a lad. what makes you think an outside wall isn't load bearing. the inner skin of an outside wall will be carrying the roof, surely?

Would have thought that two wall carried all the roof loading and the other two was just masonry loading.
Is this incorrect

Sponsored Links
All external walls should be considered load bearing. Lintels come in increments of 150mm so for a 900 opening pick a 1200mm long lintel. Also if you phone catnic and discribe what/where your putting the opening they will give you a lintel spec.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back