Lintel question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone pls advise if the lintels I have are suitable for PVC windows? My concern is that they only catch the outer brick by half a brick. (See pic) Dont lintels normally come right to the edge of the outer brick work?

Sponsored Links
Are we talking cavity wall lintels?

Because if we are, then are you aware that there are different size cavities hence different sized lintels.

I see no ships... :mrgreen:

(It's in his album)

If the orangey bit is mortar stuck to the underside of the lintel, then the front edge of the lintel appears to be only about 1/2" back from the face of the brick and that's normal.

I would guess that it is more like aboot 40mm back i.e. just under half way.

There would likely have been a timber window there originally and the bricks would have been laid across the window head, hence the mortar.

My guess is that you are ok as the bricks and the mortar look to be in good nick with no signs of distress. Better to have a partial lintel than to just a bit of brick tor and a prayer. ;)

Sponsored Links
I would guess that it is more like aboot 40mm back i.e. just under half way.

You sure??
It looks like the shiny edge of the galvanised lip; surely the mortar wouldn't stay on the underside of the brick with such a neat, straight edge?
My bet's on the overhang being only about 12-15mm.

Are you sure it's a lintel and not a tray? It does not go into the bed joint.

Looks slightly lower to me. Could be the angle of the photo. Does not look to have much bearing, and the brick was cut for it.

More pics, I reckon the lintel catches the brick about 35mm to 40mm .....

All pics in album..... dont really want to fit new lintels but as you can see by the pics the one window already done only has a course of 3 layers above it so no weight so wasnt too concerned, but the other windows have a lot brick above but have the same lintel type /design. The lintel goes through to the breeze block inside full depth. The old wooden window had mortar above to fill the gap between window frame and brick.....

Can see it a bit clearer now. Have you got a concrete lintel on the inside skin?

Seems the three of you were right and I was wrong. Most unusual (the bricks being only half-supported, that is, not unusual me being wrong!) :LOL:

So whats the verdict then?

What would the council say on inspection? Would they insist on a new lintel?

If only a little more than one-half the brick is caught by the lintel, the brickwork above would be unstable unless partly supported by the original frame (presume timber).
The BI would not let you use the PVC frame for even partial support so my bet would be that you would need a new lintel.

Is there some way to leave existing lintel in place and use angle iron to make less mess and the job slightly easier?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back