Lintel Type

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking at knocking through my kitchen/Dinning room. The wall that will be comming down is 3.4M span. The wall goes all the way up through the second floor and finishes at the floor in the attic. The joist for the second floor are supported by the wall. Can any one tell me which type of lintel I will need?
I have a feeling that I will need to get an SE involved but I would rather not pay the hourly rate if I can get away with it. I know that I will have to get buildings consent etc.

Any info appreciated

Sponsored Links
Building control may still want you to produce calc's so this will indeed mean a visit from an s.e.

Suitability of any steel beam or steel lintel will be difficult to ascertain from the brief description you have given.

Probably a 178mm x 102mm beam will do, but that is a guess. This would need to sit upon suitable masonry or pad-stones.

Sponsored Links
Many Thanks all. I thought I would need an SE!

:(

Kin hell, provide an SE with a set of sketches of plans, floor spans, with some dimensions and some photos inside and out and it will cost you about £80-100 plus VAT. Hardly at the level of personal bankruptcy is it?

Hi,

Usually in cases like this(support 2 floors and long span) a substantial beam is required. There will be a need for padstones on both ends of the beam. If the wall piers that support the new beam are not big enough you might need to have a rectangular steel frame erected so the load can be transferred around the opening to the original foundation. You should be looking at a 203 UC sections and possible some small PFC's for columns in case of a frame.
You defenately need to produce calculations for the beam and loading to satisfy building regulations.

A 203UC on a 3.4m span domestic? Rather smacks of serious overkill and all rather unnecessarily alarmist in terms of what might be required.

Shytalkz

Based on 6m height of 100mm masonry wall and 6m width of supported floor at 1st and 2nd floor lvl a 203X46 UC is the smaller size you can use.

Funny that. I can get a 203x133UB25 with 11.4mm deflection dead and live, or a 152UC37 with 12.1mm deflection dead and live to work under those loads. If brickwork, deflections are 11.5mm (UB30) and 15.1mm respectively.

Shytalkz

Allowbale deflection for 3.4m span is 9.4mm because brickwork or plasterboard walls should be considered as brittle.

Yeh, live. I did dead plus live, allowing for fact that dead is already there in retrofit, so live way less than L/360. Perfectly adequate.

You are using things that any normal engineer would only use to justify an existing element that could not be justified otherwise.
This is like stating that dead load deflection on steel beams supporting concete floors can be ignored because gravity will make the top of the concrete floor to set in level.
I mentioned a 203 UC so marb is aware of what to expect as worst case. Neither you or me know what the floor spans are, if the wall supports any of the roof and we dont even know if it is masonry.

Ah I think the actual difference between us is that my head is not stuck in a book and I'm happy to use personal judgement. Not sure how my checking for dead and live in retrofit makes the connection with your concrete floor comment.

Mebbs when I'm a couple of years off retirement I will revert to conservative uber-design to save on the likelihood of a PII claim.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back