Lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, new here and hope you can help!
Currently having loads of internal work done on the house, part of this is to brick up the doorway between the lounge and kitchen diner then knock through a new opening 1.2m wide in a different location.
The wall in question is a block wall, above this there is a stud wall that's offset by around a foot that separates the bedrooms. The floor joists run at right angles to the wall and the existing doorway has a steel box lintel above it so I'm assuming it's supporting the joists from the two bedrooms above.
The builder said he thought it wasn't a load bearing wall and only agreed to put the lintel in at my insistence! Am I correct in being a bit concerned about this?? Also what type of lintel would be required to do the job?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'd be more concerned that you don't have building regualtions approval, and that your builder has not mentioned this.

To be honest I have rung the local building regs for advice, the builder is Polish so I'm having to pass everything through the wife (also Polish).

At first I just took his word it wasn't load bearing, it was only when I had a good look myself (I used to work for a builder for a good few years) that I realised he was probably wrong.

I'll ring em again today

Sponsored Links
Building inspector agreed with my assessment btw, albeit this was a phone conversation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back