Little bedroom's ceiling is infested with moulds

If I'm in the shower and I open a window, it decreases the condensation far quicker than any fan can. / All I know is that when I put my specs on to trim my beard they steam up. If I open the window they clear.

Go back to the 1950s grandpa.

Do some reading, plenty of research material available that demonstrates how opening windows as you describe can often do sod all to prevent condensation in other parts of the building, where insulation is insufficient and cold bridging is present.

Whilst I agree with the insulation ventilation thing, I think you are over-dramatising the opening of a window.

You are just wrong.

Unless the window is left open all night, opening windows in the day can often fail to prevent condensation in bedroom ceiling corners as per the OP.

Feel free to ramble on about car windows or spectacles if that makes you feel better.

Sponsored Links
If I'm in the shower and I open a window, it decreases the condensation far quicker than any fan can. / All I know is that when I put my specs on to trim my beard they steam up. If I open the window they clear.

Go back to the 1950s grandpa.

Do some reading, plenty of research material available that demonstrates how opening windows as you describe can often do sod all to prevent condensation in other parts of the building, where insulation is insufficient and cold bridging is present.

Whilst I agree with the insulation ventilation thing, I think you are over-dramatising the opening of a window.

You are just wrong.

Unless the window is left open all night, opening windows in the day can often fail to prevent condensation in bedroom ceiling corners as per the OP.

Feel free to ramble on about car windows or spectacles if that makes you feel better.
Hey, slow down there A'surle boy and wind yer neck in.
I completely agree with all that has been stated regards fans, insulation etc. Read any of my posts or question me on any of my insulation methods regards the subject. I'm not as much a luddite as you think. It was the carte blanche "don't open any windows" thing that I take umridge with.

If I wanna trim my toenails with my specs on, opening a window allows me to do it quicker than if I wait for the fan.

Feel free to prove me wrong.

I am not going to pretend to know too much about the science, but please bear with me on this example.

I have a small, solid wall bathroom that is almost completely tiled. It has a small electric towel rail as its only heating, and a an extractor fan above the bath (where the shower is as well)

When I have a hot shower, every surface gets condensation on almost straight away. After a while the bathroom also fills with steam, which I always thought was due to the air becoming saturated, and the water vapor condensing into "clouds".

This happens whether the fan is running or not (i know- get a better fan), but in this case, would opening the window not help remove some of the moisture, by allowing warm saturated air out and cold air, relatively dry in, ready to be warmed up so it can help carry some of the moisture?

I am very curious, as I have always opened the window, and want to try and understand why my interpretation of the science is misguided.

Sponsored Links
This should be about our bedroom having moulds in the ceiling and are spreading fast!! If opening Window is no good, what do we do then?

Upgrade insulation to reduce cold surfaces = and therefore condensation and mould.

Any uninsulated or poorly insulated surfaces will be prone to condensation without excessive ventillation, and even then still can be as shown in many case studies.

Alternativly crank up the heat or run a dehumidifiyer.

Either way you can't solve this without spending money, either over a long period of higher bills or a short shock of expense to upgrade.

This should be about our bedroom having moulds in the ceiling and are spreading fast!! If opening Window is no good, what do we do then?
Condensation forms because air in the room cools rapidly on cold surfaces. Warm air can hold more water than cold air so when the air is cooled the water has to go somewhere - it turns to condensation. Mould loves to grow on condensed water so where you have condensation you will often have mould. There are several possible remedies - sometimes just one can work, sometimes you might need to do more. I'd start with reducing water vapour; basically don't dry clothes on radiators and use extractor fans in bathroom and kitchen. Also be aware that humans create vast amounts of water vapour at night just by breathing. (I know, the selfish bastards) Often bedroom doors and windows are closed at night so the water vapour builds up. So now you have high vapour levels, low air movement/ventilation and cold surfaces. The number one recipe for condensation.

Second thing to look at is insulation. Check loft insulation. Is there any? Maybe upgrade/add to it. Make sure it's well spread and there are no gaps. Do you have the option for cavity wall insulation? If you refurbish at some point you might consider adding internal wall insulation. Usually the loft is easy to sort out - walls are more tricky/costly. Finally, ventilation and air movement is beneficial. If you have a bathroom full of steam open the window. It will do no harm. But it also won't solve a long term condensation and mould issue. Trickle ventilation - continuous slow air change/movement - is more beneficial. To give you a visual idea of how air movement helps; often mould forms behind wardrobes, sometimes behind curtains, sometimes in the extreme corners of rooms. A common place is between a bed and the wall. The reason for this is that air movement is restricted in these areas. If air moves across a surface mould is less likely to form.

Also understand that no two properties respond exactly the same. Sometimes one simple thing will work in one situation but not in another. Air pressure and external environment are contributory and these can be completely different from one house to the house to another.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back