Little green arrows.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone help please?
I have lost the little green arrows icon that shows the internet is connected (red when not connected) on the notification task bar.
Internet still works okay but would like the icon back.
I have tried using the notification customise tool but I cannot locate the icon.
I am on AOL broadband, windows XP home edition.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Right click the connection and select properties, there will be an option there sonewhere to put an icon in your tray. Failing that just reinsatll the software and it will probably appear by default.

Right click the connection and select properties, there will be an option there sonewhere to put an icon in your tray. Failing that just reinsatll the software and it will probably appear by default.
Willa, please ignore the rubbish being posted by "Superspec", who pretends to know things. You can pretty much rely on his posts being completely wrong.

Are you referring to the green arrow that illustrates the connection state of a USB ADSL modem? If so, then please say which modem you're using.

Thanks for geting back Softus.
Yes, your description is correct. The modem is a BT Voyager 105 with broadband cable connected to AOL via a BT landline.
The arrows appear now and again. The internet works fine, just wondering if anything to be concerened about.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
I've seen other machines where the arrow does disappearing tricks, also without affecting the state of the ADSL connection, so I think it's nothing to be concerned about.

Willa,
Just check if the 'show icon' is ticked in the network connections properties.
Go to Start -> Control panel -> Network & Internet connections -> Network connections-> Right click on the connection and go to properties. Then check "show icon in notification area when connected" and "notify me when connection has limited or no connectivity" are both ticked.

Superspec isn't entirely wrong, if the connection is working and you want to get the connection notification icon back, you can try the following:

Open Control Panel then Network and Internet Connections, then Network Connections. Right click Internet Connection and select Properties. At the bottom of the property sheet, there is a check box labelled "Show icon in notification area when connected" Check the box and click OK.

This will put the connection icon (not arrows, more like two overlapped monitors) back into the system tray at the far right of the taskbar. It will only appear when the connection is established, and the icon will appear to light up when network activity takes place. It's a purely cosmetic thing, but some people like to see it to confirm network activity.

:rolleyes: FFS - this isn't the system tray icon for a network connection object; it's the green arrow icon displayed by the Voyager 105 software.

Whatever, Softus. It shows evidence of connectivity and that is what I suspect the OP was looking for.

It shows evidence of connectivity and that is what I suspect the OP was looking for.
The OP was extremely clear about what he was looking for, and yet you and Superspec were both wrong.

However, in the vague and woffly sense that it had something to do with the Internet connection, you were right on the money.

Sponsored Links
Back