Little Pop or will hand get blow off if I plug this in?

DI03634_1_2.jpg

I prefer this stuff

Sponsored Links
Electrolytics tend to go off quite nicely, but messily. The inside is a tightly wound spiral of thin aluminium foil and wet paper - and if it fails in the right manner then it blows the can off and sends shredded foil and wet paper bits all over.
My guess is that connecting a small 16V direct to the mains caused an internal short that prevented enough energy being dissipated before the MCB tripped. A bigger cap, and perhaps some current limiting (perhaps an old fashioned incandescent light bulb), might do better :whistle:

This thread brings back memories of college, probably ONC or it might have been HNC. We were told to slowly charge a capacitor, slowly increasing the voltage and carefully keeping records of time, temperature, current, voltage etc. Once we had it up to something like 2KV. We were then to connect a variable resistor across the wires and slowly discharge the capacitor, then go for a tea break. We decided that it would be quicker, and a longer break, to simply touch the bare ends of the cables together, I can't remember the size but the imperial equivalent of 16mm at a guess. We touched them together, there was a massive bang and the cables were about 150mm shorter. Very satisfying especially as the notes from the first part were marked as excellent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back