Live neutral reverse

So the topic is about L/N reversal, Westie asked "Given that one of the faults they can't detect is a neutral earth cross, is this another source of incorrect indication?", you understood what he meant and gave an answer which has absolutely no relevance, as far as you can see. ... Is that an accurate summary?
No.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
View attachment 81871 If it was a missing earth shouldn't this tester pick that up and not just guess at L N reverse
Yes, it obviously should. Furthermore, as I wrote earlier, it it's very hard to see how, even if it were designed badly or faulty, it could end up displaying 'L-N reversal' when the true problem was actually a missing earth.

Kind Regards, John

If it was a missing earth shouldn't this tester pick that up and not just guess at L N reverse
Which would it show if you had a missing earth AND reverse polarity?

I don't think anyone knows exactly how these testers actually work.
Presumably they just measure voltage and/or continuity between the terminals and compare with what it should be.
That is: should be 240V L-N & L-E and low ohms N-E.
Do they recognise actual polarity of AC?

You could swap the L and N in one of the sockets and see what the tester shows.

HOWEVER, the point is that, I hope, no electrician would, after it being shown as reverse polarity by one of these testers, just blindly go ahead and swap L and N without further testing with accurate proper testing equipment.
Neither should you.

We can be talking about this until the cows come home. The reality is, the 'tester' has given an indication of a fault.
If you are responsible for the electrics then you cannot ignore this fault and should either:
Isolate the circuit and make it safe.
Start the continuity of conductors test using a proper test kit - as a minimum you should use a multi-meter.

Sponsored Links
Which would it show if you had a missing earth AND reverse polarity?
If there is a missing earth, my Martindale one shows 'Missing Earth' whether the L-N polarity is correct or reversed. I think that makes sense since, in the absence of a usable earth, there's no way I can think of that the device (or even an electrician, if all they had to work with were the three terminals) could detect an L-N reversal.
I don't think anyone knows exactly how these testers actually work. ... Presumably they just measure voltage and/or continuity between the terminals and compare with what it should be. That is: should be 240V L-N & L-E and low ohms N-E.
The only one I've ever taken apart (a long time ago, so they may have changed) appeared to just look at the L-N, L-E and N-E pds.
I'm not sure what you mean. The one I took apart reported L-N reversal if the N-E pd was much greater than the L-E pd.
HOWEVER, the point is that, I hope, no electrician would, after it being shown as reverse polarity by one of these testers, just blindly go ahead and swap L and N without further testing with accurate proper testing equipment. Neither should you.
That's obviously correct. Given access to some 'known earth', the only 'proper testing equipment' one really needs is a voltage indicator or multimeter, but reliance on a plug-in thingy would be inappropriate.

Kind Regards, John

The only one I've ever taken apart (a long time ago, so they may have changed) appeared to just look at the L-N, L-E and N-E pds.
Ok, so it does not even see the continuity between N and E - just pd or no pd.

I'm not sure what you mean.
I mean it can't tell which is L and which is N - which it could do by detecting continuity between (real) N and E.

Just to show that these things are not that reliable, what would it read where the socket was wired correctly but the cpc had become disconnected from earth and had become live(240V)?

Just to show that these things are not that reliable, what would it read where the socket was wired correctly but the cpc had become disconnected from earth and had become live(240V)?
Now that's interesting, particularly in relation to this thread. I've just tried that with mine, and it reports an L-N reversal.

If you think about it, that's logical - it is seeing 230V between N and 'E' and 0V between L and 'E'. An electrician who had access to nothing other the three terminals of the socket (no access to a 'known good earth') would presumably come to the same initial conclusion ('L-N reversal'). However, to be fair, that situation requires two simultaneous faults (CPC disconnected from earth and CPC connected to L), so it probably very uncommon.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, logical for such a tester.
We had a discussion in the past where the same L-N reversal would be shown if all the conductors were rotated clockwise (looking at it in relation to the plug terminals).

An electrician may do an EFLI test - which would raise suspicions.

Two simultaneous faults or - one screw.

So the topic is about L/N reversal, Westie asked "Given that one of the faults they can't detect is a neutral earth cross, is this another source of incorrect indication?", you understood what he meant and gave an answer which has absolutely no relevance, as far as you can see. ... Is that an accurate summary?
No.

Kind Regards, John
Which part is inaccurate?

Yes, logical for such a tester. We had a discussion in the past where the same L-N reversal would be shown if all the conductors were rotated clockwise (looking at it in relation to the plug terminals).
Indeed.
An electrician may do an EFLI test - which would raise suspicions.
Indeed, the test would presumably either be impossible or would result in a very strange reading. I've just tried with my Fluke and it refuses to do an EFLI test in that situation (just makes a noise at me) - presumably because it detects 0V L-'E' and/or 240V N-'E'.

Kind Regards, John

.. Is that an accurate summary?
Which part is inaccurate?
The part that says that I understood [all of] what he wrote. I understood as far as the comma, and responded just to that bit.

As for relevance to the thread, if I had £1 for every time you have commented on, questioned or 'picked up on', a comment/statement in post which had no relevance to the topic of the thread, I reckon I'd be a pretty rich man by now!

Kind Regards, John

Despite Ban's comments on a quick, easy, temporary repair, I feel I must sress that the BEST advice would HAVE to be to get the wiring put right CORRECTLY, so the right COLOURS are in the right terminals AND the POLARITY is 100% correct.
Indeed.

But I was talking about NOW.

I was talking about 8PM on a Sunday evening.

Absolutely get an electrician 1st thing Monday morning, or start investigating then, but RIGHT NOW there is a problem with the polarity of some sockets and RIGHT NOW is when that needs to be resolved and RIGHT NOW that can be done by connecting the socket on the basis of what the polarity of the conductors is RIGHT NOW, not on what they should be were they correctly identified by colour.

Nobody will ever die if the N terminal of a socket is supplied by a conductor which has red or brown sleeving. The same cannot be said of an N terminal with a L conductor in it.

I know, I know.

I did respectfully acknowledge all this by stating it would be TEMPORARY.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back